LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help matching cam to LE2 heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:53 AM

Need help matching cam to LE2 heads

I just picked up a set of LE2 heads off of ebay, and now I need help choosing a cam to go with them. If I could find one of Lloyds LE2 cams floating around, I would definately go with that. I think I found the specs on it, so I could just get a custom grind to match, but I'm not 100% sure it is correct. I don't like the range the CC306 makes power, I'd like to start making it lower so as not to have to spin up to high heaven to get good power. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:30 AM

Re: Need help matching cam to LE2 heads

call combination motorsports, i know thats what everyone says, but just talked to them yesterday, gave them my head flow #'s and they're designing one for me right now, should be calling me back today to let me know. thats the best way to go. tell then what u want, how high u want to rev, etc and they will make something work for ya. they also have a gp right now for valvetrain kits and cams
Old 03-24-2005, 07:51 AM

I ran an XE230/236 .544/.556 114LSA+4 with an old set of LE heads (comparable to his LE2's). With a mail order tune I got the following:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...58_45_full.jpg

A dyno tune would have netted me a little more. Check out how flat the torque curve is.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:24 AM

Why don't you just contact LE and get a cam from him
Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 AM

Make sure and have the springs checked on the haeds so you know what lift they are good for and what pressures thay have (seat and open).

Since you are getting thes eheads from someone else and not me, I am not sure what parts have been swapped or have been used. The seller is calling them an LE2 head, not me. I would rather you be happy with the performance and NOT hurt any parts as opposed to just buying a cam that will work with my "currently used" LE2 valve trane parts.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Eportworks.com
Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
Why don't you just contact LE and get a cam from him
Lloyd doesn't sell the cams by the selves, only with heads. They are supposedly G-14 classified, but if you ask the right person...
Old 03-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

Beyonce Knowles.....

The specs are one thing, getting them to work with everything is another.

Believe me I'll turn guys away if I think they are going to do something wrong with the setup. I'd rather have guys making power than selling parts, that's the difference between some places and a guy like Lloyd.

BTW In the LE2 cam designs we are at LE2.2 already, and when you factor in Joe's cams that's LE2.3. That's the 4th version of the LE2 cam. So you can get some specs from them, but #1 they aren't up to date and #2 they have to be matched to the parts on the heads.

The guy who just got 400rwhp on the LE1 heads has the new LE2.1 cam, so that says something vs. some random combination motorsports cams that get you 380rwhp, if your going to buy a cam might as well get the one that will work with the heads and make the 15-25 EXTRA rwhp, works as a better HP to $ ratio too.

You can get a LE cam from me, but I would really like the heads check by Lloyd just to prove that they are his. If you had good pictures of the parts on the heads and good pictures of the ports he could probably be able to tell what you have in front of you.

Bret
Old 03-24-2005, 01:14 PM

Try duckhead4life. I purchased his LE2 heads off of him, but I didnt by his cam because I already have a GM847. I am pretty sure he hasnt sold the LE2 cam yet.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:29 PM

Yeah, when they get here I'll get a lot of really good pics and see if we can tell if they are Lloyd's or not. After hearing what SStroker has to say, I figure it would be worth the money to have them flow tested here at a machine shop to get the exact flow numbers. After I have those, I think I'll give combination a call and set up the perfect match to my heads.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Good luck with that.

The guy who just got 400rwhp on the LE1 heads has the new LE2.1 cam, so that says something vs. some random combination motorsports cams that get you 380rwhp, if your going to buy a cam might as well get the one that will work with the heads and make the 15-25 EXTRA rwhp, works as a better HP to $ ratio too.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Good luck with that.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:11 AM

my comment was more along the lines of confirming the parts on the heads since there recently was a guy who was selling some heads on Ebay with the LE2 "lable" that had stock valves and the springs had been removed, swapped or something like that. Not sure if theye were even my heads but with stock valves and "what ever" spring set up, I would hate for someone to but a cam around the LE2 size and expect similar performance.

If they were heads that I did, the heads would probably still work OK but the stock valves will be about 10 HP down from a larger valved set. If these are equipped with a spring that can not handle the cam you are getting, the end result could be BAD. If you are lucky, it will just not make much power on top end. If you are not lucky, bent pushrods, broken springs, dropped valves, destroyed motor, etc, etc, are all possobilites.

If they are NOT heads that I did, I am noit sure what you have. If you can get the guys ame that I doid them for, I could tell you everything I know about them and what parts they had when they left here.

just make sure and get them checked out and give CMS the spring spec so they can know what you are working with. They could also set you up with springs and cam if your springs end up being weaker than you were expecting. If they are my heads, I just want you to be happy with the performance of them.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Eportworks.com
Old 03-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
My feelings exactly. Beyonce, just call Lloyd once your sure you have a set of (HIS) heads and get yourself one of Brets cams. And use whatever other parts they recommend to complete the valvetrain.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:20 AM

Really, nothing against combination (running one of their cams right now) but why buy a set of Lloyd Elliot heads and then get a combination cam???
Old 03-25-2005, 09:20 AM

Lloyd, once I get the heads, if I post some pics could you tell if they are yours or not? I figure if they aren't, at least ebay has a $1000 protection on there, so I'll just be out time at the worst. I probably get a valve job done, too, if they aren't stock size. (And make him refund me the cost) These are the pics from ebay, don't know how much you can tell from these.
http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/a6/74/2c_1_b.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/a6/e8/6b_1_b.JPG
http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/a7/38/6c_1_b.JPG