LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Help Fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 01:17 PM

Need Help Fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you get the timing chain cover back on?
Old 05-10-2003, 02:25 PM

Lower the front of the oil pan. The pan is made to fit over the bottom of the timing cover.

How did you get the timing cover off?
Old 05-10-2003, 02:53 PM

When you put the timing cover back on, if you haven't changed the oil pan gasket you will probably want to put some gasket sealer on the oil pan seal where it meets the oil pan gasket. Some people say that you can put it back on without lowering the oil pan, but when I do something I do it right and replace both the oil pan gasket and the timing cover gasket at the same time. I say that's the best route. However, people say they have had success by taking the couple of bolts loose in the front of the oil pan so it lowers a little bit to get the cover back on and put some Permatex Ultra Copper sealant on the front part where the oil pan gasket meets the timing cover.

Keep in mind you need to drain the oil for this, if you haven't already.

Also, be very careful when you put the timing cover back on, especially if you installed new timing cover seals. The water pump seal is hard to get on without messing up the seal and getting it on right. When I did the job, I had to put grease on the seal and on the water pump driveshaft. I had to run my finger around the water pump seal pushing it out (stretching it out a little bit). I also put a #13 socket(3/8" drive) in the hole where the driveshaft goes because that was about the right size for the water pump driveshaft. This kept the seal stretched out while I was putting the gasket sealer and gasket on the timing cover. Then when I was about to put it on, I took the socket out. The cover should slide on with almost not resistance. If you feel resistance at the top of the cover, more than likely it is the water pump driveshaft seal not going on the shaft. Do NOT force it, or you will mess up the shaft seal! I messed up 2 of them before I figured out the best way to do it. Don't worry about stretching the seal out, it is rubber and it will return to the right size after a couple minutes.

Good luck.