LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help with a belt squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Question Need help with a belt squeak?

So I put a wrench on the belt tensioner and it go quieter so I replace the belt tensioner.
Still there so I replaced the belt and it went away for a couple of minutes and then came back.
Three day later and around 60 miles on it and I see that the belt was splitting on one of the groves.
So I replaced it and guess what the squeak is gone.
I took the car out and got on it a bit and it never squeaked.
I parked the car and got in it a couple of hours later and it's back.
I have an Advance Auto Parts Drive-Rite belt on it I have had them on my car in the past and have not had any problems with them and I have a Dayco belt tensioner with a plastic pulley on it.
I am at a loss for words I don't know what to do.
I have so much money in this car ing now and I just want to drive it and this is driveing me nuts.
Please help!!
Thanks,
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Re: Need help with a belt squeak?

Is it possible that a misalignment of the crank pulley and/or the tensioner pulley is causing the belt to split, and contributing to the squeak? Maybe the rubber ring that holds the two rings of the damper together has cracked and the crank pulley is wobbling.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I hate that squeaking belt. I've tried ones from AutoZone and Advance. They start squeaking. Best one I've found, so far, is the Goodyear Gator Back.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Is it possible that a misalignment of the crank pulley and/or the tensioner pulley is causing the belt to split, and contributing to the squeak? Maybe the rubber ring that holds the two rings of the damper together has cracked and the crank pulley is wobbling.
I dought it but I will look and see if the damper is wobbling.
I think the belt splitting might have been a defect but I wll force my seft to drive it to work and see if it splits agine.
I'm temped to get a good year belt and see if that stops it but money it very tight and it's going out faster than I can make it.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 AM

I've been thru this belt squeaking situation.

In my case the ac compressor drive pulley was worn to the point that it would bottom on the belt grooves, not allowing the belt to sit on the angled faces of the pulley grooves.

I removed the pulley, put it on a lathe and turned it down around .030" in diameter just to get rid of the sharp outer pulley grooves.

Worked for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM

I had a V6 camaro that was eating up all kinds of belts !! the last time it chewed the belt up the belt started splitting it broke a sensor and the wiring ..be careful !!! this has been 13 years ago but I think my problem was with the ( alignment ) the belt would move front to back sometimes ridding on the edge of the pully causing the belt to split.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Can be quite a whip if it still is spinning as its coming apart. I would also look at all the pulleys it rides on with belt off. If you see excessive wear on a side one spot might help show your problem. Ive had the tensioner pulley freeze up on my truck and it oblonged the pulley and started wearing the belt. See if everything that should spin freely does and has no wobble.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Yeah they make a pretty mean whip not only did it brake the crank sensor,cam sensor the plug ends to the sensors butchered the wires on top of all that I was 60 miles from home I got one huge bill from the tow truck to tow it back home I tried to put another belt back on and drive it home
LoL back then I was 18 and didn't know what those wires where for and why It would not start back up ..lol ha ha

Last edited by parkers Z28; 01-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Mine was in my truck and I thought I sent a rod through the block but was hoping was a tire blowout lol. Was able to cut all the bad off and have a half belt and limp it home. Seems I took out something else too but had to cut ends out of all kinds of things.