LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM

Question Need help!

hi...i am new here and i did a search and nothing really answers my confusion and sorry if this sounds like a newbie question...i am here for a friend who just bought a 97 model Chevy Camaro(i mean the one that comes with the front lights sticking inside)....the car had 98 camaro 16" rims, 6MT, and leather seats that had this chevy logo with the 30 logo written on as it seems like an Anniversary special limited edition, its NOT an SS and didnt come with either a moon roof or even a T-top...so could somebody clarify to me if this car engine is an LT1 or an LS1....oh by the way the car required service and when we did an oil change the light didnt go so we did an LS1 ECM procedure to remove the "Engine Service Soon" light ( http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/Reseting_the_LS1_ECM )and it WORKED....so does it mean its an LS1 engine? what hp do you think it is?

thanks in advance,
Kam
Old 03-15-2004, 06:08 PM

97 is an LT1.. not an LS1.. it;s a 30th aneversory edition..

And that reset procedure will work on most OBDII cars. it;s not LS1 specific
Old 03-15-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by HBHRacing
97 is an LT1.. not an LS1.. it;s a 30th aneversory edition..

And that reset procedure will work on most OBDII cars. it;s not LS1 specific
thanks for the info, but could you clarify the LT1 hp for me? and does LT1's come with a 6MT ? it says on the export papers that the car is made in Canada...is that why it doesnt come with a sunroof or even T-tops?

thanks again
Old 03-15-2004, 06:42 PM

http://makoto.dyndns.org/fbodyspecs.htm#95weights

that should help
Old 03-15-2004, 06:42 PM

yeah. the factory was in canada.. it;s rated stock at 285HP. comes with either an automatic 4 speed or a manual 6 speed. they have 3 choices for options, convertables, hardtops, or t-tops. like I said they are OPTIONS.. some are just a regualr hard top, this is normal

EDIT:
Originally posted by kingman109
http://makoto.dyndns.org/fbodyspecs.htm#95weights

that should help

thanks for the help... I don;t ahve my favorats links on this computer..
Old 03-15-2004, 06:43 PM

As far as I know they never came with sunroofs, and T-tops were an option. The LT1 has about 285hp that year. It sounds like a real nice car, goodluck with it.

HAHA, same info same time...well technically you beat me
Old 03-15-2004, 06:47 PM

don;t ahve my favorats
u drunk cause im drinking
Old 03-15-2004, 06:47 PM

yeah. the factory was in canada.. it;s rated stock at 285HP. comes with either an automatic 4 speed or a manual 6 speed. they have 3 choices for options, convertables, hardtops, or t-tops. like I said they are OPTIONS.. some are just a regualr hard top, this is normal

thanks guys one more question my friend cant find the engine number.... where is it located?...it seems crowded in there, but will be easier to track if we know where to start!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by kingman109
u drunk cause im drinking

nope.. but I wish I was.. just very tired and sick today. just woke up from a nap,

Originally posted by camaro97OM
thanks guys one more question my friend cant find the engine number.... where is it located?...it seems crowded in there, but will be easier to track if we know where to start!

and what do you mean "engine number"?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM

and what do you mean "engine number"?
well like the chassis has a unique number i expect to see a unique number for the engine too printed on the block or something.....i have to find it cause my friend is taking the car to the Police department for inspection and when it passes then they can give him permission to put a plate number on the car....um u gave me an impression a camaro doesnt come with one hope you are joking.....lol
Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM

ok.. totaly confused at what your saying.. the chassis code os fbody. the engine RPO code IS LT1.. witch is a 5.7 Liter V8 with 350 cubic inches of displacment.. again.. what are you asking for?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:19 PM

ok.. totaly confused at what your saying.. the chassis code os fbody. the engine RPO code IS LT1.. witch is a 5.7 Liter V8 with 350 cubic inches of displacment.. again.. what are you asking for?
i'll try to explain more as much as i can do

each car as i am sure u know comes with a chassis code/number that isnt repeated on another car from the same manufacturer

now engines do come with that too i could call it "engine production rate number" now i am looking for that number/code

all cars i have seen come with both unique numbers....1) on the winshield/firewall that represents the chassis number 2)on the engine block or head that represents engine production number

Now in our country they use both to identify a certain car this is used for theft reasons now maybe it sounds silly here, but this are the rules here and i have to follow them to get permission so my friend can drive the V8 drifter....LOL
Old 03-15-2004, 07:27 PM

um.. where exactly are you?

I assum that you mean the VIN (vehicle identification code) that is located on several places on the body, windsheild, ect ect. that code contans all the information that should be needed. there isn;t any other code other then cast numbers on the motor itself that I am aware of
Old 03-15-2004, 07:37 PM

um.. where exactly are you?

I assum that you mean the VIN (vehicle identification code) that is located on several places on the body, windsheild, ect ect. that code contans all the information that should be needed. there isn;t any other code other then cast numbers on the motor itself that I am aware of
Am from the country where the Oryx's live....hehe.....hope you heard of Oman.....well you are right about the VIN, but thats what we call here as chassis number and there is EIN (which i just made up now.... lol......Engine Identification Number) that i am looking for.....regarding the cast numbers where can they be found ? are they on the left or right of the engine....i will know it directly when i see em

Last edited by camaro97OM; 03-15-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM

re: need help!

bump!