LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need guidance on my next set of mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 08:16 AM

Need guidance on my next set of mods.

Time to start to mod agian. This week I am going to order the SLP LM exhaust, Jet Hot Long Tube Headers, and whatever Y pipe or High Flow cats I need. I have a few questions. I have a 94, so that means one cat. Should I make my setup into a dual cat setup? Is it worth it? Also if this is the case, do i need to order the dual cat slp loudmouth. Do most of you with LT's convert to dual cat when you have single? ALSO next month I would like to do a cam, RR's, springs, etc... My plans for the car are to do the cam, and then the following month get the LT1 heads ported (hows that for planing ahead). I would like to get all your opinions on what cam setup to get, I was leaning toward the Hot Cam Kit, but for what I plan to do with the car should i be going with something alittle more agresive? Sound off what you think, thanks. BTW, car has 103k on the clock.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:04 AM

full exhaust + hotcam will probibly get you mid - high 12s
I think with heads the get very low 12s. there are a coubple guys in the 11s on heads/cam but usually you gotta tear into the bottom end. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Hotcam is one of the best bangs for the buck, and there are tons of people to answer questions about it. The XE 224 /230 has shown to be badass without heads even. What is your budget? after the exhaust work is done. I wouldnt switch to dual cats. I dont see how the dual cat set up flows any better. I think its all based on GMs original statement of raising the HP #s in 96. Just stick with one cat.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 AM

I would go with something a little bigger than the hotcam if you are going to do head work. Otherwise you will be kicking yourself like I was. I wouldnt suggest something like the cc306 although there are some members running that cam with stock heads and hitting mid 12's. It really depends on what you want. Is it going to be a daily driver, emissions smell of fuel going to bother you. Ive been loking for the right cam for about three months yet and still cant decide. You really have to evaluate what you want and what you willing to put up with i.e. cam surge, low vacuum, drivability. With a questions like this just about everyone will tell you to do a search and read. There are a lot of posts about cams. Believe me, I think Ive read almost all of them. They will tell you the good and the bad about most of the cams you thinking about going with
Old 08-31-2003, 04:47 PM

ok i'll stick with one cat then, as for the cam selection. I still want the car to be VERY streetable. For example, I dont want to bog low end all the time, I dont want idle to bounce around when i come to a light, etc.. etc.. Hot cam seems to be the best choice these days, a friend of mine as them. I mean in the future, I would like to build a 383 stroker, but thats down the road, way down the road. As for budget, I dont wanna spend to much, i mean $480 or so seems great for hot cam kit, lol.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:12 PM

The hotcam is a hell of a deal and plenty of folks make good power with it. However - you're going to get your heads done, yes? That's not a very cheap mod. Why not get the most out of them? The hotcam isn't the only streetable cam that makes good power out there. I'm not saying you should NOT get that cam - just consider something a little beefier to make the most of those heads.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:42 PM

I hear ya. Yes I am going to port the stock lt1 heads but nothing TO extreme. There is a place around here that will do a nice job with new valves and such and make them flow pretty well for about $1000, think I am going to go with that. I mean hell, he broke 9's with his port jobs on stock lt1 heads, and a stock bottom end, lol.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Dave Feerst
full exhaust + hotcam will probibly get you mid - high 12s
I think with heads the get very low 12s. there are a coubple guys in the 11s on heads/cam but usually you gotta tear into the bottom end. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Hotcam is one of the best bangs for the buck, and there are tons of people to answer questions about it. The XE 224 /230 has shown to be badass without heads even. What is your budget? after the exhaust work is done. I wouldnt switch to dual cats. I dont see how the dual cat set up flows any better. I think its all based on GMs original statement of raising the HP #s in 96. Just stick with one cat.
One reason in favor of switching to dual cats, if you have to pass the sniffer and can get by the visual inspection, is that you can locate them closer to the engine. The further you move the cats away from the engine the cooler and less efficient they will be at what they do.

I think to pick a cam you need to determine first how high your willing to spin the stock bottom end. Then pick your cam to maximize hp in the rpm range that you will be between shifts. There are many people not getting the most power out of their combinations because they shift to early with a cam that peaks high.

If you do heads you don't neccesarly need a larger cam, you will still benefit from the increased flow even with a 'small' cam.

-brent

Last edited by 94formulabz; 08-31-2003 at 06:45 PM.