LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Big Help with LTX Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Re: Need Big Help with LTX Engine

Quick side question: I want to do the leak down test this weekend. As you can see, the turbo is right in front of the balancer. Is there another way to turn the engine by hand so I can locate TDC for the individual cylinders because putting a wrench in the center balancer nut?

Originally Posted by snorkelface

Old 10-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Either crank it around on the flywheel
or
In gear (if manual) and turn a wheel.

Observing any safety procedures obviously.

Mitch
Old 10-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Ah, the flywheel. Good idea, thank you. Mine is an auto, so I'll try that route.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by terminal_crazy
Either crank it around on the flywheel
or
In gear (if manual) and turn a wheel.

Observing any safety procedures obviously.

Mitch
​​​​​​
Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 AM

Buy a hand held remote start switch that connects to the battery and starter then remove one spark plug at a time and "bump" the engine with the start switch. I used this when I had solid cams to adjust the valves.

On a side note What's the 30pm for that aluminium radiator you have? I'm in the process of turboing my 97 SS Camaro as well
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 PM

I actually picked up one of those last night. I tried #1 cylinder and the results were really bad (120 PSI). However, I could hear air escaping out of the plug whole the tester was threaded into, so I'm not sure if that was the issue. The threaded insert is smooth, so it's hard to get a good grip on it with how little space I have to tighten it.

Sure, I can check on it. It was the biggest radiator BeCool made at the time that would fit, but that was also 10 years ago. Haha. What's 30PM though? I want to make sure I'm checking the right thing.

Originally Posted by 87Aerocoupe
Buy a hand held remote start switch that connects to the battery and starter then remove one spark plug at a time and "bump" the engine with the start switch. I used this when I had solid cams to adjust the valves.

On a side note What's the 30pm for that aluminium radiator you have? I'm in the process of turboing my 97 SS Camaro as well
Old 10-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Damn auto correct it was supposed to be P/N for the aluminum radiator, also what rwhp/rwtq at what boost?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:00 PM

I'm having a hard time finding the part #. I just remember it being the new new radiator that was the biggest they made that could fit in our cars.

Dyno testing never completed as tranny went out. Those a-holes sucked anyways and the tune they had in it I discovered later was terrible. It left off at around 550 RWHP and about the same torque at 10lb of boost. It will be up to 15PSI when I get this sorted out.

I'll keep looking for the part # I'll be back under it tomorrow removing the turbo piping to finish the compression test and start the leak down testing after.

Damn auto correct it was supposed to be P/N for the aluminum radiator, also what rwhp/rwtq at what boost?
Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 PM

I see you have stood the radiator up and I see the A/C condenser, are you still running your A/C? if so will the a/c lines still reach the condenser with it stood up or does it require custom a/c lines?

I'm building a turbo setup very similar to yours and I want to keep my a/c working as my car is very much street driven, so your answers are of interest to me, thanks.

Last edited by 87Aerocoupe; 10-29-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 PM

You'll need custom lines. Doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal though to make some (although I haven't yet). Only part I'm a little worried about the attachment point at top of the condensor itself.

I see you have stood the radiator up and I see the A/C condenser, are you still running your A/C? if so will the a/c lines still reach the condenser with it stood up or does it require custom a/c lines?

I'm building a turbo setup very similar to yours and I want to keep my a/c working as my car is very much street driven, so your answers are of interest to me, thanks.