LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My single plane conversion progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
Good work, i've been looking into this for a bit just havent gotten myself interested enough to actualy do it.

What angle are the bolt holes on with the cylinder head intake surface or the end rails? Any info on how you located and spot faced the bolt holes? I had planned on using just the outer 4 on each end to hold the intake, curious if thats what you did here?
I marked the intake and Lloyd drilled the holes and spot faced the bolt holes for me with his bridgeport mill. He just mocked stuff up to find the right angles. Ive got 5 bolt holes on each side of the intake, I got 1 in the middle on both sides. Due to the runner placement, I was only able to 1 bolt in the center on either side. Im almost sure 2 bolts on either corner would work out, but I went ahead and drilled the 2 extra holes.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Nice… my first thought when I saw it was that there is no way that will fit under a stock f-body hood…

I did something similar but used JB weld instead since I was concerned that by the time I got everything all welded up that the flanges might warp… after some careful sanding, grinding and a coat of paint you couldn’t tell.

WRT to the port height question… vortec heads have ports fairly similarly shaped to LT1 heads, I’d be surprised if there was much room to take advantage of anything.

The extra plenum volume should help HP, but might hurt responsiveness some, OTOH, anything underneath that intake that is serious enough to need that probably will be fine with the extra plenum volume.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by WS6 TA
Nice… my first thought when I saw it was that there is no way that will fit under a stock f-body hood…

I did something similar but used JB weld instead since I was concerned that by the time I got everything all welded up that the flanges might warp… after some careful sanding, grinding and a coat of paint you couldn’t tell.

WRT to the port height question… vortec heads have ports fairly similarly shaped to LT1 heads, I’d be surprised if there was much room to take advantage of anything.

The extra plenum volume should help HP, but might hurt responsiveness some, OTOH, anything underneath that intake that is serious enough to need that probably will be fine with the extra plenum volume.

This plenum is from 360 performance and is supposed to fit under the stock f body hood. Minus the 1 1/2 tall nitrous plate. I thought I was going to have plenty underhood room and had to trim the brace on my steel cowl hood to get it to fit. The vortec ports where almost identical to the fully ported trickflow heads. Lloyd did very little work to get those matched up to the lt4 race gasket.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Any chance of getting the angles from lloyd if he remembers them? Thats about the only thing stopping me at the moment since I dont want to buy a set of heads just to measure that and mock up with.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM

can;t wait to see dyno numbers.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM

you can email and ask him, but i dont think that he measured anything, he just mocked up heads in his fixture and found the right angle and drilled them.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
can;t wait to see dyno numbers.

I dont do dynos, the last time I was on a dyno, I left transmission parts and fluid all over nitrodaves dyno.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
Any chance of getting the angles from lloyd if he remembers them? Thats about the only thing stopping me at the moment since I dont want to buy a set of heads just to measure that and mock up with.
Build a plate jig so the holes dont get supersized and they are all drilled the same angle that way. Lloyd then spot faced it for me.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by slammed98gmc
I dont do dynos, the last time I was on a dyno, I left transmission parts and fluid all over nitrodaves dyno.
Fair enough. Perhaps track times.

Maybe a dumb question, but can this be made smogable? I first doubted it earlier in the thread, but I'm not seeing anything specific that would change emissions.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 07-08-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
Fair enough. Perhaps track times.

Maybe a dumb question, but can this be made smogable? I first doubted it earlier in the thread, but I'm not seeing anything specific that would change emissions.
It has the tendency to fail a visual inspection therefore it is not emissions compliant. Functionally yes it could be made to pass e-check, but if you have an overzealous "tech" notice the manifiold not belonging on the car then it'll fail.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM

NX Gemini plate eh?

Seems like Im seeing a lot of these latley
Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM

The abscence of the egr valve would probably get you a fail on the emissions test too. Depends on the state of the engine you're having tested and what cam is in it.

Thanks for posting picks of the bolt holes lt4blazer. I think I know how i'm gonna do it when now when I get some free time.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:04 PM

That intake is CLEAN!!! I am going to be ordering a Victor E in the next few months and need someone to modify it to work with LT1 heads.

Who did all your intake work??? I know you said Lloyd did your drilling but who did the welding up of the other holes?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 97formulakid
That intake is CLEAN!!! I am going to be ordering a Victor E in the next few months and need someone to modify it to work with LT1 heads.

Who did all your intake work??? I know you said Lloyd did your drilling but who did the welding up of the other holes?
We just had a local guy weld up the old holes and we cut the un-needed parts off and smoothed it out ourselvse with die grinders and a sandblaster.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 PM

well it runs, hope to get it to the track in the next few weeks and see what it does.

short video

Quick Reply: My single plane conversion progress