LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My engin'es toast... UPDATE 3 (progress pic's inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:38 PM

My engin'es toast... UPDATE 3 (progress pic's inside)

Thought I'd update you guys on what's been happening with the Formula.

I managed to remove just about the entire engine except for the block 'cause I don't have an engine hoist and I'm pretty sure the block would probably be just a little too heavy to take out by hand

At that point there was nothing much left to do other than to take it to the shop and have them remove what was left. The flatbed showed up at around 10:30 (an hour and a half late ) but hey, better late then never I guess. She was taken to the shop and left there for a day or two to have the block pulled. A few other things were done aswell, along with a good cleaning from a power washer to help me with painting the engine compartment later.

Since I had removed the ABS system from the car and had no intentions of putting it back in, I had Andy (my mechanic) bend some new brake lines for me._ The final set-up is A LOT cleaner than with that huge ugly ABS unit in ther taking up space._ It look's even better that I had hoped._

Here's some of the stuff I took off the car that I'm NOT putting back in. All emissions equiptment, The ABS unit, Heating core, AC and all related hardware, and finally, the front end bracing._ Combined weight of all parts is just over 67lbs. More importantly, that's 67lbs off the FRONT end of the car .

Here's what the car looks like as of today 07/17/04._ The motor's out and the engine compartment's been washed down and is ready for me to start sanding it for priming and painting later._ Since_ ther's a lot of crap I won't be putting back on the car like the AC for example, the holes along the firewall and so on that were used to hold these pieces on with brackets_ will all have to be filled in and sanded down so that the final look woll be SUPER clean._ No holes or lines anywhere!!

Next thing to come off the car will be the rear bumper support._ From what I've been told, that's another 35lbs + I'll be able to shave off._ I'll take more pic's when I actually get around to doing it.

Money is still a HUGE problem for me at the moment._ How big a problem is it?? Well, let's just say I might not even have enough $$ to pay my rent at the end of the month

I'm not really worried though 'cause I always manage to find a way _ _I got a bunch of parts I'm selling (like my NOS kit) and will be getting some money off them which I'll use to put towards the new 396 rotating assembly._ The goal is to have the parts before the end of the summer._ Have everthing assembled over the winter, and have the car ready by spring._ Having money for car insurance to be able to drive it.... well... that's another story._ I'll continue to keep you guys posted on anything new that happens._ Stay tuned._ Let me know any suggestions you might have about mods I might want to do before everthing_ goes back in...

Last edited by '93 formy ...; 07-17-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:48 AM

Wow, 45 views and no reply's?

I was kind of hoping some of you have been through the same and could give me some suggestions or ideas I might want to try out. I've never done this kind of thing before( pull and rebuild a motor) and maybe you guys could give some input in regards to the motor build up,or painting the engine bay or how to remove the dash in order to get to the rest of the heater stuff and air bag or something.....

Suggestions? Ideas? Anyone?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:50 PM

Why didn't you just pull the tranny?