LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My 6200 mile oil analysis results with German Castrol 0w30

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
Patman, I ran that oil for about 3 months on your recommendation. I did not do an analysis but it was SOOOO thin I couldn't stand to leave it in there...was like pouring water into the motor, LOL.

I'm definitely after max bearing protection since every year I get by w/o having to build a new shortblock is, well, just that...another year I can get by without having to build another shortblock
It only looks thin when pouring it in, but trust me, this stuff has a better viscosity at operating temperature than most other 5w30 and 10w30 oils on the market. And after 6200 miles in my car it did thicken up a little bit more too, and turned into a 0w40 oil.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by eagleknight97
Patman, whats your take on the specialty high mileage oils out there? Just a complete waste of money? Hurt the engine? Help it out? My cars got 92000 on it and its only seen dino oil, 5W-30, but its been a mix of diff brands. Ive only had the car for the last 20000, and ive been using either Castrol GTX or Valvoline High Mileage. So yeah.
The high mileage oils aren't too bad, as they contain more esters in the base oil to clean things up better, plus they are a slightly thicker viscosity too. But I did run a few intervals with Maxlife 10w30 in my car and was not too happy with the wear numbers. Nowhere near as good as with this stuff. I ran the GTX HM 5w30 in my mom's 94 Probe GT and it showed good results in oil analysis though.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by z28marine
Now, is this oil recommended for very cold weather or all weather? I saw that you said it was pretty cold where you were and the oil happens to be super thin. But, what about during the summer and warmer weather....its about 85 right now, and i know this summer is gonna be 100+...would you still recommend this oil?
Definitely! I ran it last summer and will be doing so again. Since it's so close to being a 0w40, and in fact turned into a 0w40 in my case, it's got that thicker protection for when the oil temps get hotter. It's got a HTHS number of 3.6, which is a good number that indicates it doesn't thin down too much when it gets put under high temps and high stress. For comparison, Mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 have an HTHS value of only 3.0 to 3.1.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Hotwire
I just got an K&N HP-2002, it doesn't have an anti-drain back valve!!!!!!!!! wtf!?!?!? I realized it when I took off the first one and didn't get the usual oil shower down the oil filter!
That is odd because I thought all K&N oil filters have the ADBV in them. I know the HP3002 I use has one. This is the longer version.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Xride
anywehre in Canada have this?
Yes! In fact it showed up here before it showed up in the US. Right now it's in Walmart and a few Canadian Tire stores carry it too. It costs less than Mobil 1 up here.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: My 6200 mile oil analysis results with German Castrol 0w30

Originally posted by Injuneer
I hope you're a friend of Patman's, and this is just a joke..... otherwise we may need to take some "corrective action", since you've violated the rules you agreed to when joining the site.

I have no idea who that guy 96TurboTA is, it sounds like someone just trying to stir up trouble.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: My 6200 mile oil analysis results with German Castrol 0w30

Originally posted by Patman
I have no idea who that guy 96TurboTA is, it sounds like someone just trying to stir up trouble.
Yeah, Patman, I don't know what was up with that but if you have any problems in the future, feel free to email me directly. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I can't believe how "off base" that guy is.... its great to have someone who does his homework, and post FACTS, supported with data. Much better than the guys who come on here and give you the ol' "Mobile (sic) 1 is junk, I use WalMart drain oil cuz its gud and lasts for 8,000 miles be4 i have to change it and it hasn't hurt my car yet".

Old 03-18-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by LameRandomName
Dan -
To the best of my knowledge, synthetic doesn't eat gaskets. Some folks got the impression it does because it has a detergent effect on any engine it's in and old, dried out gaskets that are currently not leaking because they are plugged with sludge will begin to leak after the synthetic washes the sludge away.

Of course, I'm open to any data you might have that would show otherwise.
I recently visited a company called Ehtyl and they make the additives that go into motor oils for most of the major manufacturers. I learned a few things I thought you might be interested in.

There is an additive called a swelling agent that is added to motor oils that is designed to swell your gaskets and keep them tight (i.e. prevent leaking). Synthetic oils typically use less (or none) of this agent, hence the gaskets shrink and you get leakage.

Perhaps you have seen the advertisements for high mileage synthetis oils? All they are doing is adding more swelling agent to compensate for leaky gaskets in older engines.

Hope you find this useful...
Old 03-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Definitely! I ran it last summer and will be doing so again. Since it's so close to being a 0w40, and in fact turned into a 0w40 in my case, it's got that thicker protection for when the oil temps get hotter. It's got a HTHS number of 3.6, which is a good number that indicates it doesn't thin down too much when it gets put under high temps and high stress. For comparison, Mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 have an HTHS value of only 3.0 to 3.1.
Patman, how would this stuff compare to Mobil 1 0w40? I tend to think the 0w40 may have a higher HTHS number than M1's 5w30 and 10w30. For the last few months, the M1 0w40 and K@N oil filter have been my favorite combo and have gotten some of my friends to run this, one on his 95 LT1, and the other a 79 Z28 with a warmed over 350 since break in 7k miles ago. But your results have me thinking twice. What is your opinion on M1 0w40 vs GC 0w30?

Jason
Old 03-18-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by mebanditws6
Patman, how would this stuff compare to Mobil 1 0w40? I tend to think the 0w40 may have a higher HTHS number than M1's 5w30 and 10w30. For the last few months, the M1 0w40 and K@N oil filter have been my favorite combo and have gotten some of my friends to run this, one on his 95 LT1, and the other a 79 Z28 with a warmed over 350 since break in 7k miles ago. But your results have me thinking twice. What is your opinion on M1 0w40 vs GC 0w30?

Jason
M1's 0w40 has an HTHS of 3.6 as well, just like GC 0w30, so I think the performance of the two oils would be pretty similar. I definitely think M1 0w40 is a better choice over their 5w30 and 10w30 (in an LT1 or LS1 that is) If this GC 0w30 ever stops being imported here, one of the oils I would consider replacing it with would be M1 0w40.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by SweetZRag
I recently visited a company called Ehtyl and they make the additives that go into motor oils for most of the major manufacturers. I learned a few things I thought you might be interested in.

There is an additive called a swelling agent that is added to motor oils that is designed to swell your gaskets and keep them tight (i.e. prevent leaking). Synthetic oils typically use less (or none) of this agent, hence the gaskets shrink and you get leakage.

Perhaps you have seen the advertisements for high mileage synthetis oils? All they are doing is adding more swelling agent to compensate for leaky gaskets in older engines.

Hope you find this useful...
One of the things they use to swell the seals is to run a slight mixture of esters in the base oil. Most high mileage oils use about a 10% mixture of esters in order to achieve this slight swelling. And most every synthetic oil out there uses esters in the mix as well, even some of the "fake" synthetics that use a mostly group 3 hydrocracked base oil will still mix in some esters as well. One of the big benefits of having esters in there is that they provide a good amount of cleaning. Redline is comprised of a very high percentage of polyol esters, which is one of the best base oils out there, it's very shear stable and keeps the engines extremely clean.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:13 PM

Patman, how do you feel about Mobil 1 0w-40? I haven't found an autozone or anywhere here that has the german made castrol. Chicago area. If some knows of one, chime me in. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:51 PM

Patman, are you able to get this oil in Ontario or do you have it get it from the US?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:15 PM

Patman-
I just purchased the Mobil1 15w-50 racing formula. Should I use this oil living down here in Florida????

Quick Reply: My 6200 mile oil analysis results with German Castrol 0w30