LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MSD, overrated or worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:38 PM

Question MSD, overrated or worth the money?

So it what do you guys think, are MSD products worth the money or just overrated.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:43 PM

The wires and ignition modules are wonderful. I'd never buy one of their coils, though. I'd get a Jacobs ultra coil if wanted an aftermarket coil. MSD 8.5mm superconductors = - they're "proven" to have the least resistance per foot. I see a lot of folks around here with MSD 6AL ignition boxes, so you may consider something like that. While they are a bit overpriced, with the exception of their coils I'd say everything else is worth every penny.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:27 PM

MSD 8.5mm superconductors = - they're "proven" to have the least resistance per foot.

Im planning to test the magnetic coil wires at actual working frequencies..... not RPMs but frequencies. Whe the Coil fires up the voltage shoots from 0 volts to above 40k (thousand) in most cases... The misconception i see just about everywhere is that this magnetic core wires will have the lowest resistance... what people dont understand is that the magnetic core acts as a damper to high frequency "spikes" to reduce radiofrequency noise... that is the purpose of the magnetic core..

All coils will act as a resistance to voltage at some given point.. meaning a coil that reads 1 ohm at 0 herts frequency can easily have thousands and if not millions of ohms at a higher frequency.

There are formulas to calculate this effect by the way.. also inline noise filters as found for radios and in radios are based on this effect... I al almost positive the resistance of all the magnetic core wires regardless of the brand name will be much higher than what we read with a meter using direct voltage.

Dont mean to be a party pooper but once the engine starts spinning and the coild firing up in a microsecond, It wont surprise me if this so called low resistance wires are presenting a very high impedance to the electricity going to the plug.. I wish I had an oscilloscope to read the voltage that reaches the plug as compared to the one that leaves the ignition coil. Does any one have a two channel oscilloscope and a pair of high voltage probes to test the wires installed in a car?

Marvin

edit: I must admit though, the quality of materials used and the design itself (using wire as opposed to carbon inpregnated fiber) should outlast the lifespan of the OEM wires. My Taylor Spiro Pros do not show any signs of age after over two years of daily usage. Under normal conditions perpahs those are going to be the last wires I will ever need.

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 09-06-2003 at 02:14 PM.