LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

msd 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:17 PM

msd 6

I purchased a used msd 6a from this site,and I am having troubles. 1st prob. It only works when it wants to, if I unplug it no problems starts everytime.
2nd I get alot of feed back off the speakers
Any suggestion would be great
It was an easy install cant really mess anything up with the lt-1 harness
Old 08-05-2003, 10:54 PM

any ideas guys
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 PM

I had a problem with one once. It would work for a couple minutes and then quit. After another couple of minutes it would work again. Rinse, repeat.

I sent it back to MSD for repair.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:21 AM

the noise from the speakers....

two things. noise transmited throught the power lines
or through the air as radio frequencies

The easy one... a series coil and a parallel capacitor to attenuate the noise transmited thorough the power lines

Just buy one at Radio Shack or any store that sells and installs car radios. Plug and play stuff... nothing fancy required here.. infact if someone try to sell you anything fancy.. Its a scam.

No need for a switchin power supply with line voltage conditioner here/// a coil/capacitor filter will do the same work for five dollars or less...

the Difficult part/// electromagnetic chatter transmited as radio waves (noised picked up by your radio antena) well on this one I will start by adding magnetic core spark plug wires.... (yeah lots of work and moola) if you have any racin non-resistor) spark plugs.. they may have to go/// they transmit noise too/// if all this fails you may need a new radio//one that is less suceptible to radio noise.

I do not prescribe any particular order for all this.. but If it was me I would defenetelly purchase the power line noise filter for the MSD first.... then if it still makes noise... I would buy one more and added to the radios power line.

After that either wires or spark plugs.... and the last resort would be a new radio...'

As for the on and off Multispark ignition problem... I would have it replaced or rapaired... or get your money back. I dunno whats best for your problem.

Just my two cents... Marvin
Old 08-06-2003, 01:23 AM

Oh I left one thing out..... My bose radio has the amps at each speaker.... that means... you hafta filter your power lines that feed those amps...

Maybe thats the only thing you may need to do... so find where that power is being fed to the radio and speakers and ad your filter there..

Marvin

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 08-06-2003 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:27 AM

im guessing this is Jeremy from ws6zxr.com? its MattZ28...
oh, and SHOEBOX, GET UR *** ON WS6ZXR, WE MISS U!!!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:40 AM

hey guys...i'm the guy who sold him the MSD....

i'm not sure what to say here... i had it installed on my camaro for just over a year. and i NEVER had any start problems, and NEVER had any radio interferance. i had it installed with stock radio and stock plug wires for the first 11 months i had it. and still NO problems.

i say send it off to MSD or at least call them to find out how much it would be to fix.

but out of fairness, i did ship it separate from another part i sold to you, at a $10 extra cost to me, and i gave you a pretty good deal on the unit, considering its a $150 unit plus $30 for the harness...and i sold it to ya for about $75 shipped! and it WAS working before i removed it. not sure why it's causing so many problems.

oh yeah...

did ya get the DS installed? did it make any difference in vibration?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:07 AM

Yeah driveshaft is installed But hav'nt been out on the highway yet!! I know you gave me a good deal ,and I am not faulting you, that is why I kept your name out of the post. The thing is more plug and play,how hard is it to hook up!!!plug in connectors and give it power right!!!!!!!! 1 st time I tried to start it would'nt. 2nd time started drove it to get gas then would'nt restart, I unpluged it & car started right up. New plugs & wires are on order so wee'll see after that
Old 08-06-2003, 11:11 AM

hm....

have you checked all your connections? could the ground or the 12v wire be coming disconnected at times?

give msd a call and see what they say
Old 08-11-2003, 12:39 AM

Got it to work. There was a break in the ground cable. So I just bought some 8 gauge and it works great. Thanx for all the help