LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

motor is torquing the altinator into the A/C lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Banned

motor is torquing the altinator into the A/C lines

i just noticed last night the motor is torquing enough so that the altinator fan is cutting into my A/C lines, and its almost all the way through.

is there any way to prevent this?

and what might happen if the A/C line gets punctured like that? is that stuff flammable?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:40 AM

Re: motor is torquing the altinator into the A/C lines

Originally posted by anasazi
i just noticed last night the motor is torquing enough so that the altinator fan is cutting into my A/C lines, and its almost all the way through.

is there any way to prevent this?

and what might happen if the A/C line gets punctured like that? is that stuff flammable?
I forgot to put the retaining strap around my a/c line by the alternator when I did the stroker. The alternator cut right through it. It vented all the refrigerent and oil into the engine compartment. It was quite a mess.

If your lines are positioned correctly, then maybe you should check your motor mounts. Sounds like they could be on the way out. Or you might be able to move the lines a little to get the clearance you need.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:11 AM

Delete the AC.
or find some way to tie the line away from the alt.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by revtime
Delete the AC.
I, personally, would never do that. I'm not a big fan of hacking, kinda defeats the purpose of having a late model car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:02 PM

Yeah my Trani mount broke. My engine torqed forward into the A/C line and the Alternator pulley went right through it. I've had nothing but problems with it since.

If I remember correctly its pretty expensive to get it done. I did it myself and it proved to be a PITA!!! You have to unbolt the compressor to get enough room in there and you have to use all kinds of extensions to get to the bolt on the back side of the compressor. That was at a shop with a hoist.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:44 PM

if it does puncture the line you will loose all your freon and will ahve to replace the line. it will not catch on fire but it will be messy.... it will shoot freon and oil all over but what ever you do.. if it does blow do not get it on your skin or in your eyes. it can freeze your skin on contact and can damage your eyes cauing blindness...

deffinetly chek all yourmounts and take care of the problem or a bad AC line might be the least of your problems..
Old 12-07-2003, 04:04 PM

Your guys lines must be fairly close to the alternator, mine are on top and to the passenger side of the shock tower, if it's hitting the lines it's more than likely hitting the shock tower too. The motor shouldnt be torquing over that much, prolly need new motor mounts.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by $hawn
Your guys lines must be fairly close to the alternator, mine are on top and to the passenger side of the shock tower, if it's hitting the lines it's more than likely hitting the shock tower too. The motor shouldnt be torquing over that much, prolly need new motor mounts.
Yes they are on my 95Z same as his. I replaced my Trani mount with a Poly Urethane one from Energy Suspension. I would recomend not zip tying it out of the way. Just pull on it a few good times. The lines shouldn't break.

The reason for not tieing it down is because my alternator went through a portion of the new hose I installed. I pulled it away from the alternator and left it free and it hasn't gone through the hose yet.