LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

The most ridiculous item of the day

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:19 PM

The most ridiculous item of the day

Some of you may recall my small rant about CM being less than perfect in their shipping dept but i still praised their service.

Well let me say, IT WAS NOT CM's FAULT!!!

Yes i know what self aligning and non self aligning rocker arms are. It is someone at comp cams who doesn't know the difference!!!

I have 1 non self aligning on the passengerside. I have yet to pop the drivers side and see what surprises are under there. I suspect at least 1 more non self aligning.

I have guidplates installed on on cylinders 2,4,6, and only 1 non self aligning on the cylinder 2 intake. What a debacle. There should be no harm in the redundant guideplates and self aligning rockers, i really don't feel like taking them apart, nor finishing the rest of them and adjusting all those valves. I now have a retareded motor though thanks to some schmuck at comp.

-brent
Old 08-18-2003, 10:23 PM

Yeah, stuff happens man. Sorry you were the victim of it. But that is a very stupid mistake of comp cams' side. You would think they would pay at least a little bit of attention....
Old 08-19-2003, 08:03 AM

I got the drivers side done too late last night. There was just the 1 non self algining rocker included in the pack. They were still in the plastic when i got them from CM, so it was definitly comp who screwed up.

-Brent
Old 08-19-2003, 01:00 PM

I don't think you should run that thing with self-aligning rockers and guideplates. The rockers have to be able to move around either at the tip (guideplates) or the pushrod (self-aligning). If you use both, there is no place for the rocker to move. You can cause some serious damage. Without any place to move around, the rocker arm will exert a load on the side of the valve, the stud, and the pushrod. Once of them might give, and then you're in for a world of hurt.

Get NSA replacements for the self-aligning ones.

BRAD
Old 08-19-2003, 01:04 PM

They guideplates pick up the slack about the same place that the self aligning tabs do. It's redundant. They aren't binding though. I'm planning on getting the correct self aligining one or switching over to non SA.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Friggen comp, i was done with this cam install over a week ago and still it drags on.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:21 PM

OK, they weren't binding when they were in the up position, but maybe when they were down, i didn't really check. Has anyone else actually used guideplates with SA rockers and had a problem?

anyone, Brads got me nervous now. WHY DIDN"T I JUST GET THE RIGHT PARTS THAT I ORDERED!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:02 PM

Call CM and call comp cam and get the **** you paid for, whats the big deal?? I wouldn't have even installed them in the first place.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:04 PM

I am going to get them straightened out one way or the other. I have to drive it to work though

The whole story is that i didn't notice the non SA on initial install. Then at 3AM I threw a rocker and was like Oh crap, they sent me non SA when i ordered SA. So I called and they sent me guideplates saturday delivery, excellent service. When i started installing the guideplates I realized that 15 were SA and only the 1 I had been looking at was non SA. But i already had guideplates on 3 cyl. Talk about being oblivious to your work, i just checked the main rocker body was on the right direction and slapped em on paying no attention to the tips.