LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

"More Perfomance" Melling vs. RaceNet's Canton oil pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 03:42 PM

"More Perfomance" Melling vs. RaceNet's Canton oil pumps?

After a search, I've come to the conclusion with my stock pan to run a Stock volume high pressure pump.

I've found 2 that intrigue me so far:

http://www.moreperformanceinc.com/oilpan_p.htm
More Performance uses the Melling High Performance oil pumps and "blueprints" them for every engine we build. We machine, debur and check every mounting surface for parallelism and proper clearances. We also tig weld the correct oil pump pickup in place. More Performance now offers these custom oil pumps for your LT1/L98 engine build up. These are high pressure/standard volume pumps, we do not recommend high volume pumps for the street.
Item # MEL M55A
Price...$69.00
and:
http://www.lt1f-body.racenet.net/oil-system.php
Canton's Pressure Balanced Oil Pumps are new pumps modified to provide a smooth coninuous flow of oil through the full RPM range of your high performance engine. By reworking the pump housing, Canton bleeds some of the high pressure back into the gears providing smoother operation and more constant pressure. To allow for the high RPM operation of a performance engine, Canton also enlarges the bypass passage and provides a feeder groove to limit cavitation. Designed for smooth operation at high PRM's the idling oil pressure can be 10 lbs lower than that of a standard oil pump. $59.95
Looks like the Melling comes with a pickup whereas the Canton does not.

Unless you've got better options, some say the stock GM unit works fine....
Old 03-28-2004, 08:41 PM

Racenet is a crappy vendor IMO, I'd be looking for someone else to buy from.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:44 PM

Please never order from Racenet ..

You will regret it... as did a many cz28.com and other message board guys...

They are liars... not even gonna say they have bad customer service.. they are simply liars.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:18 AM

I also have my doubts concerning MORE performance. I would recommend doing a search on both places.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the comments so far!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:22 PM

LT1 oil pumps & pans

Dave, this is what I have found here in my research so far:

Here is a thread on the high volume pump-
Pump info # 1

I'm still looking into a pan.

Stock pan- Problem with oil pressure at higher RPMs.
Related thread

Canton pan- Leaks/poor quality
Related thread #1

Related thread #2

Doug Rippie Motorsports sells a pan w/ pickup for $355. I emailed them & have not heard back.

There do not seem to be many options for the LT1 with the oil level sensor provision. My situation is complicated in that my car is lowered & has Mac mid-length headers, and it will be road raced. I will also need to drill a hole in whatever I use for the Procharger drain oil. The best price I've seen on the Canton is $267, but this is at best a crapshoot based on what the members here have experienced.

It would appear that if the oil could be properly managed in the stock pan, this would certainly be the way to go.

EDIT: I was shopping in the wrong store here. Checked in Advanced Tech & found this thread that shows the use of an aftermarket windage tray w/ a stock pan & also the value of checking your pick up depth.

EDIT #2: I checked my 383, and found I have a Melling 55HV pump w/ pressed in pickup. I also have the OEM windage tray in place. I measured the pan bottom to the rail of the pan (don't have any clay ) and found it was 7&3/8" (there is an X stamped in the pan, I measured from the absolute bottom). I then measured the pickup to the block with the gasket in place, and found the screen (offset from the bottom of the pickup) was 6&5/8" tall (difference of .750) and the bottom of the pickup was 6&7/8" tall (difference of .500). Looks like this needs to be tightened up to .250-.375".

I also checked out the Melling line of pumps. Here is what I found:
(Info from Canton's website)

#M-55
SBC Standard volume

#M-55A
SBC Standard volume High pressure

#M-55HV
SBC High volume (+25% vol.)

#M-155
SBC Standard volume with 3/4" Inlet

#M-155HV
SBC High volume (+25% vol.) with 3/4" Inlet

#M-10555
SBC High Performance (+25% vol.) 3/4" Inlet
Bolt on pickup, Summit/Jegs sells these for 7", 7.5" and 8" deep pans

In my instance, I'm going to keep the stock pan and try the Milodon Diamond Stripper windage tray (PN 32250, $75), the Melling 10555 pump ($60) and the Melling bolt-on pickups (7" PN 12557 & 7.5" PN 12558, $10 each) along with the Moroso main cap baffle (PN 23000, $5). Total is about $160.

This comes out to less than a Canton oil pan, and I know I won't have to worry about leaks & pressure loss. I'll try & update as I progress with this aspect of the project.

Last edited by Live for TAs; 03-31-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:09 PM

Damn some good info man! I'll go check it out...

I need to find out about windage trays, what do we have, just a baffle or something of some sort?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:20 PM

From what I understand the Canton LT1 pans have been improved. I guess the early design had the leakage/fitment problems and that they've been fixed with a redesign somewhat recently. I don't know from experience since we don't sell Canton, but that's what I've heard.

-Chris
Old 04-01-2004, 06:26 PM

I've never used anything other than a stock GM pump (with the high pressure relief spring if more pressure is needed).

Rich Krause
Old 04-11-2004, 06:43 PM

Updated my page for the oil system...

I've added the Diamond Stripper windage tray, rear oil baffle, and Melling 10555 pump w/ 12558 pickup for the 7.5" deep pan.

Here are the pics:

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

I still need to get some clay & check the clearance for the pickup.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:45 PM

Location: You know when they Quit Suckin that something is Wrong!!!!
Re: Updated my page for the oil system...

Good info, thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Re: "More Perfomance" Melling vs. RaceNet's Canton oil pumps?

I have the More pump and it is a very nice pump. I used More for about 1/2 of my motor and they have about the best cutomer service out off all the vendors I used. talk tp Troy, he is a great person to deal with. A for instance, I ordered the oil pump along with a couple of other items and when it arived I realized it was the wrong pump. I called Troy and we figured out I ordered a Y-body oil pump because of my car but I had an F-body Pan, My mistake but he swaped the pump no questions asked.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 PM

rskrause: Where do I go about getting one of those high pressure relief springs? What do you mean by, if needed? So you are saying the stock pump is fine for 355-383 motor build ups then? I am in the process of building one of those (mine will be boosted though) and would like to now more on this. Thanks for the info.......John.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 PM

I also have the More pump in a stock pan with a Milidon louvered tray.
I had to massage the tray to fit around the stroker crank but it holds a steady 55-60 lbs pressure to redline with Mobil 1 10-30.

Dean
Old 12-15-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by BMAN'S SCZ
rskrause: Where do I go about getting one of those high pressure relief springs? What do you mean by, if needed? So you are saying the stock pump is fine for 355-383 motor build ups then? I am in the process of building one of those (mine will be boosted though) and would like to now more on this. Thanks for the info.......John.
There is no reason not to use the stock pump and a major reason not to use a high volume pump. The high volume pump, at high rpm, can pump the oil to the top of the motor faster than it can drain back. If severe enough, this can starve the bottom end of oil leading to engine failure. A minor reason is that it takes more power to drive a larger pump. The stock oil pump is cheap, reliable, and delivers appropriate volume. A good aftermarket regular volume pump is a viable choice, but most racers

Oil pressure in small block and V6/90º Chevrolet engines is regulated by a spring in the oil pump cover. Spring PN 3848911 (color-coded white) produces approximately a maximum 70psi oil pressure. The stock spring maxes out at about 50-55psi. Depending how high you want your oil pressure will determine which spring to use. FWIW, NASCAR engines are usually run at 50-60psi from what I hear. Not sure whoy you would need more, but some people just seem to like it! A high volume pump will not produce any more oil pressure - this is regulated by the bypass spring. In an engine set up with large tolerances, a stock volume pump may not produce enough pressure at idle or even at higher rpm. That is the only good reason to use a high volume pump. If a stock pump can't produce enough pressure, unless the motor was specifically set up "loose", the motor is on its' way out as the clearances have loosend up.

A good aftermarket replacement like the Melling is fine, just don't use a high volume pump.

Rich

Quick Reply: "More Perfomance" Melling vs. RaceNet's Canton oil pumps?