LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Modded LT1 vs drivability

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Modded LT1 vs drivability

Looking to get max Hp out of a '95 LT1 A4 without compormising drivabiltiy. Don't want any stalling, stumbling, or other bad manners. I'd like enough vacuum to help with braking and all other vacuum associated functions. Car will have 3.73 gears, 3200ish rpm stall, long tubes with no cats, and true dual stock vette mufflers. I'm ready to do heads/cam (which ones?) and wondering what other mods are worthwhile. Ported intake? Bigger throttle body? Bigger injectors? MPG is not much of an issue, but don't want a big time fuel hog. Not my daily driver, but I want something smooth and reliable. It's my weekend end/fair weather cruiser. Don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get the optimum set up. Car has 1.6 rr's and PCMforless tune now.

PS: Car is actually a vette. Please don't run me off. You guys are more serious about HP than any vette site I've been on. Been doing a lot of reading...learned much. Just wanting to do it right the first time. TIA
Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

if you want max hp then you would need good heads and a big cam. and then you would get into some surge and things like that. or you could spend the money and do some good heads a small blower cam and a supercharger and maintain great street manners.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:42 PM

if you want smooth, youre gonna want either a small cam, or a bigger cam with more cubes..

i have a 230/236 cam with heads and it is definitely not smooth. haha.

i would get a milder cam and do heads (assuming money isnt a big deal either, which it doesnt really sound like)
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by RedWS6TA
if you want max hp then you would need good heads and a big cam. and then you would get into some surge and things like that. or you could spend the money and do some good heads a small blower cam and a supercharger and maintain great street manners.
I have a supercharged truck and love it, but haven't seen a kit for LT1 vettes that I like. My car runs hot to begin with and I can't see putting an intercooler in front of the radiator on a car that already runs hotter than I would like. Set on the N/A route for now.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM

werd, smooth hp=mild FI

i say go sts
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM

if your lt1 runs warm you could always get a tune and run a 160 t-stat. that is what i have always done. and there are also additives they make to add to your coolant to help with it running a little hot. or a turbo would be bad *** also.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 PM

You may want to talk to either these guys and get a heads/cam package.

http://www.eportworks.com/
http://www.advancedinduction.com/

There are several on here that are running h/c packages from LE or AI with excellent results.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Old Motorhead
I have a supercharged truck and love it, but haven't seen a kit for LT1 vettes that I like. My car runs hot to begin with and I can't see putting an intercooler in front of the radiator on a car that already runs hotter than I would like. Set on the N/A route for now.

that is easily fixed with a 160 theromostat and tuning fan on/off to go with it
Old 09-03-2007, 06:50 PM

if your lt1 runs warm you could always get a tune and run a 160 t-stat. that is what i have always done. and there are also additives they make to add to your coolant to help with it running a little hot. or a turbo would be bad *** also.
Already have a PCMforless tune and 160 degree stat. Runs cool on cool days and hot on hot days. Kind of the nature of the beast. There's no turbo system available for LT1 powered vettes.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ricehammer
You may want to talk to either these guys and get a heads/cam package.

http://www.eportworks.com/
http://www.advancedinduction.com/

There are several on here that are running h/c packages from LE or AI with excellent results.
I've been to both web sites and don't doubt the power avialable from either vendor. Just wondering about drivability issues. How big can the heads and cam be and still have good manners? I know, at some point, bigger isn't better.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM

from eportworks.com, you can get a LE1.5 which will give u more power than the hotcam, but still be just as streetable.

My favorite though is the lingenfelter 219/219 560/560. Great power, excellent manners.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM

you could go with a mild set-up and the spray it. that would keep the street manners good.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM

ive heard that a lot about that ligenfelter
Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Look at my setup. I had an A4 on this setup originally with a stock stall. It crawled just a tad. With a 2600 12" S-10 stall it would of been perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it 1500 miles across country. It's not that aggressive. Idles smooth.

Last edited by PoorMan; 09-03-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM

you could go with a mild set-up and the spray it. that would keep the street manners good.
I've played with nitrous back in the late '70's on a Z28. Had a blast with it. Just not for me nowadays.

Quick Reply: Modded LT1 vs drivability