LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

misfire and other problems after 24x

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 AM

Re: misfire and other problems after 24x

Checked resistance on spark plug wires. All 8 are ~30 ohms. Checked passenger side coils, all 4 are firing. Drove around the block with both O2 sensors unplugged and got no difference. Swapped sides and the passenger side is still stuck at ~450mV. Any other ideas besides broken harness on that one? It is brand new after all, maybe he wired it into the after-the-cat-O2 pinout?

Car starts right up every time. Feels shaky and sounds like there’s a tick in rhythm with the rpm at idle. Sounds louder underneath the car and on passenger side. Engine revs in neutral no problem, shakiness goes away and it sounds great. While driving around the block it feels like it has turbo lag. Super boggy until 2000 rpm or so and shakiness is worse the more throttle I give it. Still have to nail down the patterns on all the driving symptoms though.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
Checked resistance on spark plug wires. All 8 are ~30 ohms. Checked passenger side coils, all 4 are firing. Drove around the block with both O2 sensors unplugged and got no difference. Swapped sides and the passenger side is still stuck at ~450mV. Any other ideas besides broken harness on that one? It is brand new after all, maybe he wired it into the after-the-cat-O2 pinout?

Car starts right up every time. Feels shaky and sounds like there’s a tick in rhythm with the rpm at idle. Sounds louder underneath the car and on passenger side. Engine revs in neutral no problem, shakiness goes away and it sounds great. While driving around the block it feels like it has turbo lag. Super boggy until 2000 rpm or so and shakiness is worse the more throttle I give it. Still have to nail down the patterns on all the driving symptoms though.
Get a friend to help you test the O2 wires for continuity.

Right bank front
Pin A to Blue 26
Pin B to Blue 66

Rear would be
Pin A to Blue 28
Pin B to Blue 68

If the harness builder used the flat connectors for the front sensors the pins still connect to the same locations but here's the plug pinout.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 AM

Sweet, thanks! I'm going to check that asap.

I went back into the settings for my scanner with the intent to enable banks 3 and 4 to see if maybe they were reading something. The scanner only showed banks 1, 2, and 3 so enabled bank 3. Started the car and saw bank 1 still acting normally from 003-999, bank 2 still stuck at ~450, and bank three acting normally from 003-999. Does this mean BP pinned the harness incorrectly? Did he accidentally connect them to 28 and 68 instead of 26 and 66? I've sent emails to Aeroforce and BP and haven't heard from either yet.

Drove it a little more today. Driver's side is leaned out as far as it will go, passenger side is as rich as it will go. It was shaky and has no power. The more gas I give the more it shakes. I'd like to check the pin outs for the coils and injectors also. Do have a link or can you post them?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:39 AM

I'm at work ATM so I can't verify this but I would assume bank 3 refers to the driver side after cat O2 sensor and bank 4 is the passenger side after cat O2. Sounds like the harness is the problem.

Look at the bottom of response #12 for corresponding injector/PCM pins.

The coil pins should be pin C. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before you start sticking volt meter probes into the connectors.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 AM

I checked for continuity of all coils and injectors at the PCM. They are all plugged into the correct spots. I didn't check for O2 sensor continuity but I did check the pinouts and the spots where rear O2's would be, are empty.

I'm totally lost.

I emailed my tune to a local shop that has HPtuners. He said his experience is with Fords but took a quick look to ensure the firing order was correct and said the LS1 firing order was programmed in. Anybody else mind having a look?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 PM

You can email it to me and I'll have a look at it. May not be able to tell you any more than the other guys, but I'll try.

eerorrer@triad.rr.com

I'm puzzled by the O2 banks 1, 2, and 3. If I'm not mistaken, you should only have 2 banks.....1(driver's) and 2(passengers). With 2 sensors in each bank(pre and post cat).

Bank 1 Sensor 1(driver's pre cat)
Bank 1 Sensor 2(driver's post cat)
Bank 2 Sensor 1(passenger's pre cat)
Bank 2 Sensor 2(passenger's post cat)

You still running the 30# SVO injectors? Are you sure the injectors are wired correctly?

I wished you were closer so I could scope some of the inputs/outputs. WA is a loooong drive from here. I'm thinking on doing this at some point and might run into these type headaches one day. Man, there are just so many things that could be the issue(s).....can you data log the car?

What type LS1 PCM are you running? Do you know what model and year car it came out of(assuming it's second hand). Do you also know the revision of firmware that the LS1 PCM is running(the version of operating system)?

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-28-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 PM

You're right, I should only have 2 banks. And the pins where the rear O2 sensors would be are empty so I don't know where this bank 3 is coming from. I still have the 30# SVO's and I checked them for continuity at the PCM. They are all wired to the correct spots. I didn't check their grounds though so who knows, maybe a ground is screwy but I doubt it.

The PCM is out of a 2002 Trans Am IIRC, p/n 12200411. I don't know the firmware version.

I could data log the car if that would be helpful. I wouldn't exactly know what I'm looking at but if others could read it...

I haven't done it in years but I remember using a free program with 20 uses.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Here's GM code list specifically for a 2002 LS1 - there is no mention of a "Bank 3".

What are you using to observe the O2 sensor readings?

https://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/p.../2002file6.pdf
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM

I'm using the Interceptor gauge by Aeroforce.

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM

I've been looking around at various forums on this 24x system. From my reading, there is no changing the firing order in the PCM. It has to be done at the harness. So, 2 & 3, 4 & 7 must be swapped in the harness for the coil packs and injectors. Are you sure both coil packs and injectors have been swapped at the harness level for 2&3 and 4&7?

The injector bank assignments in the PCM need to be changed as well.

I've been looking at the .cal file and the injector bank assignment matches the assignment for a tune I have for a stock 99 SS Camaro. I'm not sure if this table has been corrected for your LT1. From what I've read, that will jack up the fuel trims if not changed. So it is wrong.

Just to make sure, are both these files the "corrected" files you sent me?

I've got more reading to do before I can comment more....some of this info is back a few years. I don't know if the programmers have found a way to change the firing order, but the reading I've done states it's hard coded, that's why it must be changed at the harness.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-30-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 AM

Ok, finally got my head wrapped around the labeling of the firing order and the injector labeling in the programming software. The injector letter labels are assigned to the firing order....I was trying to connect them to the cylinder numbering(thinking A was 1, B was 2, C was 3) and that was messing me up. I think my outlines below will clear that up.....

Remember, bank 1 is drivers side, bank 2 is passengers side. HP Tuners, for some strange reason, uses 0 for bank 1 and 1 for bank 2 in the injector banks assignment table.

LS1 firing order.......................1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3
Injector Label Assignment...... A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H
Injector Bank Assignment.......1-2-1-2-2-1-2-1
HP Tuners uses 0/1 for 1/2.....0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0

Since you swap 2/3 and 4/7 the firing order is now this....which is the LT1 firing order.

New firing order(LT1).................1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

So the injector bank assignment must change to this....
New firing order(LT1)..............1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Injector Label Assignment...... A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H
Injector Bank Assignment........1-2-2-1-2-1-1-2
HP Tuners uses 0/1 for 1/2......0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1

As I mentioned in the previous post, the file you sent me has the stock LS1 injector bank assignment....that would make it wrong for running an LT1.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-30-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:01 AM

I'm sure both the coil packs and injectors were swapped at the harness level. I checked for continuity according to the table in this thread:

Install EFI connection LSX PCM - Page 2 - LS1TECH

Both files are the same, just one is HPT and the other is Tunercat. It's what I'm currently running.

I read your injector bank assignment table, are you saying 2/3 and 4/7 just need their banks switched? I thought PCMforless said that's how they sent it to me (set up for LT1 firing order) and after I told them it ran bad they said to send it back so they could program the LS1 firing order back in.

The car is at a local shop that has HPT so I'll send him an email saying to switch the banks on 2-3-4-7 and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Yeah, it needs to be setup for an LT1. If not, the fuel trims will be screwed up according to the 24x threads I've read. Those settings get the injector banks corrected in the PCM from where they were physically swapped in the harness.

If you can, copy and paste my post 26 in the email. It may help them out in some manner.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM

So the guy swapped banks on 2/3 and 4/7. Said he was able to drive it around the block. He recommended changing spark plugs because half of them were fouled. I said go ahead, here's the old ones:

Name:  IMG_20140730_175858_759.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  86.1 KB

It doesn't start very well, sometimes it cranks and cranks and then just stops. Otherwise it starts but it makes that clicky/ grindey noise. I was able to drive it home but it's obvious 1 or 2 cylinders still aren't quite right. Idle is way off. It drove well enough for the few miles home and I'm sure it just needs some fine tuning. Fuel trims while cruising are within 18% of each other. Idle is a different story. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 AM

Did he happen to note which plugs came out of which cylinder?

What are the specs on the cam?

Quick Reply: misfire and other problems after 24x