LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mid-Length Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:58 PM

Mid-Length Headers

I was going to get some pacesette longtubes but im worried about emissions. So i think i'll just go with some mid-length headers because from what i understand longtubes take a little low end torque but really open up in top end, while mids would be much smoother through the whole rpm range that's how i understand it. It seems like from what i've read they give about the same amount of power but just in diffrent area's in powerband.

I guess what i need help with is making the decision if i should really get mid-length's over longtubes. Will i see that big of a diffrence between them? What about sound quality?

If i do go with mid-length headers which should i get? (Links would be helpful)

I've searched but i couldnt come across an answer if u needed a new y-pipe with mid-length. I know you do wtih longtubes.

My brother just got his ls1 tested and they didnt look under the car but he has stock exhaust so it didnt matter, but im afraid with my louder exhaust they'll take a look and i won't pass.

I just need some help on what direction i should take and if mid-length will hurt me any over longtubes.

ANY HELP is Greatly Appreciated

Thanks

Blaze
Old 09-26-2004, 09:13 PM

Re: Mid-Length Headers

I dont think you will see a big difference between the two types with the mods that you already have. I have MAC midlengths with a MAC y-pipe and MAC high flow cat. They used to have a website called www.macprod.com you can try that and see if it still is the site. I do believe that you need a new y-pipe if you go with midlengths too.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:53 PM

long tubes in general are overrated. especially on bolt on or lightly modded cars. a good set of mid length headers will give you as much power. AS&Ms are the best for mids, while SLPs and MACs will also work well.

I have AS&Ms and wouldnt trade them for any set of long tubes.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:04 PM

I really don't want to pay that much for as&m's since i was planning on spending less on the longtubes pacesetter's anyway. So what are some websites where i can buy pacesetter or mac mids? I prefer pacesetter.

Also im still not totally set on mid-length headers. Im still trying to make up my mind so any help in helping me make that decision is helpful.

Thanks Blaze
Old 09-27-2004, 12:16 AM

if you go longtubes, dont skimp and buy cheap ones, you better buy quality long tubes because if you dont, there could be some crappy clearance issues with curbs and speedbumps, which will in turn lead to scratching and rusting of the headers.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by blaze309
I really don't want to pay that much for as&m's since i was planning on spending less on the longtubes pacesetter's anyway. So what are some websites where i can buy pacesetter or mac mids? I prefer pacesetter.

Also im still not totally set on mid-length headers. Im still trying to make up my mind so any help in helping me make that decision is helpful.

Thanks Blaze
isn't there an active GP for Pacesetters?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:13 AM

I just got my coated MAC midlengths from Jet-Hot. MAC's website is www.macperformance.com. Go there and get the part number that you need and then go th www.jet-hot.com and look up the same part number on their listing.

If you get uncoated headers, they will rust quickly and eventually disintegrate, plus you'll get higher under hood temps, and the coating only costs about $75 more than MAC's list price for the uncoated versions.

I would recommend the folks at jet-hot. They were very easy to deal with. I'll give a full report of the install after I get it done. I'm just waiting for a free weekend now.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:31 AM

Well i was going to get coated headers anyway.

Are pacesetter's not good quality?

Only thing holding me back from mac's is the 1 5/8 size compared to the 1 3/4 on other mid tube headers.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 PM

I think i will just go with the mac mid-lengths.

If i end up getting heads, and a cam, and other small bolt ons will the mid-lengths retrict me any? If it's not much i don't care.

I have a 95 and i need to pass emissions. Would this be the right header set for me? Does it include everything and are they coated?

http://www.macperformance.com/store/...Product_ID=457

Thanks
Blaze
Old 09-27-2004, 08:07 PM

none of mac's headers are coated with anything more than HTS (high temp. silicone). That will scratch off while you install them and begin rusting probably a couple of months later.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:24 PM

MAC mid lengths on a stock 96,000 mile bottom end, full weight '93 Z running 12.05 @ 112 MPH with ported heads and a small cam.

BTW, MAC headers come with a new Y-pipe

http://www.geocities.com/max_wylde/12SCNDZ.html

Frank
Old 09-27-2004, 08:45 PM

What about the coating threw jet-hot? Is that good quality?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:55 PM

I just got my jet hot macs installed yesterday. The quality is great and the coating looks awesome as well. The only thing is be carefull not to break any bolts inside the head. I did and I ended up having to pull the head to get it out. I will say the macs coated directly from jet hot cost me $560 and that included shipping. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by blaze309
What about the coating threw jet-hot? Is that good quality?
Some of the best coating out there!!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:23 AM

Hey 12SCNDZ would you mind if i pm'd you or talked to you on yahoo messenger about helping me pick out the right headers.

Quick Reply: Mid-Length Headers