LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

+++McLeod, Spec, or Centerforce clutches...what do you use/recommend?+++

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:40 AM

+++McLeod, Spec, or Centerforce clutches...what do you use/recommend?+++

Once I pull my car out of storage in the spring I am in desperate need of a clutch (slipped big time on the last nitrous run before storage). You can see what my setup is in my sig. and what my future mods are (debating on the McLeod). The $$$ is my issue, but I am willing to fork out the cash for a good clutch that will last. The car is my daily driver in the spring/summer months. I enjoy ripping through gears and leaving the occasional tire marks. I want a clutch for cruising and be able to hold up to a weekly beating. Does anyone have any personal experience with either clutch w/ high hp motors? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Forget Centerforce. I hear good things about the Spec and my only question is how much abuse and power are you really talking? If you only want to do it once, go for the McLeod.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:52 AM

On weekends is where most of the abuse comes. My neighbor and I have a weekly beatings on our cars where we take them to a long staight stretch of road to release testosterone (he runs 12 lbs of boost with an A4). Last year was the first time a took the car to the track and am now hooked. I will be going a lot more this year. Hopefully by the end of this year I will have the cash for the LT4. My ultimate goal is to get in the 10's, which will take time.
[QUOTE]If you only want to do it once, go for the McLeod.

That's where I initially got interested in the McLeod.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:20 PM

I put in a spec and it blew apart because of vibration from a pilot bushing that disintegrated. The clutch itself was fine in and of itself. I was reporting vibration at high RPMs that was later determined to be the pilot bushing. No matter whom you go with, make sure you get a brand new pilot bushing (or new bearing).
Old 02-03-2003, 12:48 PM

My vote is to due it right the first time and go with a McLeod Street Twin. You will not be disappointed.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:09 PM

Someone told me that McLeod clutches are lifetime guaranteed. Does anyone know if that is true. A friend showed me an old GM Hightech article where someone installed the clutch and had some problems with the discs. McLeod sent the guy a new clutch and paid for the labor to install it. The guys metioned that they were surprised when that happened (McLeod's generosity) but no where did it state that the clutch was "lifetime guaranteed". Just a lingering question I have not found an answer for yet.

Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:23 PM

Well, if you got the $$$, then get the street twin. But if you want a good clutch for less, then get a SPEC Stage 3 Ceramic. I just got mine in the mail today
Old 02-03-2003, 01:41 PM

I had the CF dual friction on an old car and loved it. It was exactly what I wanted. But something was screwy in the weights and it wouldnt release. They eventuall replaced it but I couldnt drive my car for a month. On this car I put in a Star stage 2. It hooks up good, no slipping or anything, but you can ease into it more than a centerforce. The CF was almost in or out. I liked the feel of the CF much better, but I dont know if I can trust one again.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:05 PM

I did it right the first time and got the Street Twin. I havent regretted it at all. It was expensive, but IMO, it was worth it.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:09 PM

By the looks of it I'm leaning towards the McLeod, I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. I was a week late on getting in on the group purchase last month. Hopefully another one will roll around in the next month or two.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2003, 02:14 PM

I will be going with the SLP Pressure Plate, and probably the Spec Stage 3 Ceramic Disk....should support my occasional trip to the strip..
Old 02-03-2003, 02:23 PM

If you have the money go with the mcleod, if your on a budget and still want a good clutch go with a stage 3.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:35 PM

I installed a Spec stage 2 also because of tons of negative feedback on this forum back then about Centerforce. It went in easily, as most clutch jobs do, except for the stupid square pilot bushing they have, but i think that was an older design. The clutch holds up more than perfect. It does need a DEFINETE break-in period which i thought was weird but its defintely a great clutch. I think the Mcloed is for people who Realistically plan to make a ton of power.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:40 PM

get the street twin, I'm ordering one in the next 2 weeks, no substitute. Pay the extra money now for the good stuff.......
Old 02-03-2003, 02:51 PM

Could I used the Street Twin along with my stock resurfaced flywheel, and an SLP Pressure Plate??

Quick Reply: +++McLeod, Spec, or Centerforce clutches...what do you use/recommend?+++