LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

major oil leak problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM

major oil leak problems

ok i have been leaking oil for a little while now bad. like when i run it for twenty mins there is a scattered pool of oil on the ground about ten inches across. i think the oil is leaking from the top somewhere and going down the block. so i took the intake off and when i pulled the egr valve off oil ran out of it. so i need some major help thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by z28desire
ok i have been leaking oil for a little while now bad. like when i run it for twenty mins there is a scattered pool of oil on the ground about ten inches across. i think the oil is leaking from the top somewhere and going down the block. so i took the intake off and when i pulled the egr valve off oil ran out of it. so i need some major help thanks.

Rear of the intake seal/leak is very very common in the LT-1. Do a search as the heat from the EGR at the rear of the manifold typically warps the seal a little over time causing a leak down the back of the block. Clean the lifter valley, manifold and reseal it with a good liquid gasket on the front and back, use good stuff like "The Right Stuff" gasket maker to make sure it doesn't come back.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Rear of the intake seal/leak is very very common in the LT-1. Do a search as the heat from the EGR at the rear of the manifold typically warps the seal a little over time causing a leak down the back of the block.
Longest lasting wives tale thus far to date regarding the LT1. The oil leak is not caused by EGR temps. It is caused by the manifold expanding/contracting from heat cycles which backs the manifold bolts out causing the silicone seal to break in the back and sometimes the front of the block as well. Yes, since there is more heat generated towards the back of the engine the seal will give up sooner, but it is not a direct affect of temperature on the seal itself.
It really is necessary after bolting down the intake to retorque the bolts after several heat cycles to ensure all are at their proper torque spec. It should be a requirement for any aluminum component which is butted up against steal/iron (ie aluminum wheels as well).
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM

check the sender too. mine went and was leaking like a siv...still had a pressure reading though, it was weird.

any way, it's a PITA to get to and remove, specially if you have covers and STB in there. i couldnt get the sensor socket on it, i just used a crow's foot and some whack-off muscles to get it out...i didnt have enough so i had to get my bachelor friend to get it for me...but i put it back in with some teflon tape and used the crows foot and it's not leaking any more.

also, on something like this you'll want to install a mechanical gauge and get a reading of pressure. if you go aftermarket it's likely that the sensor wont read the same as stock due to cheaper internals. so if you get a true reading you'll at least have some measure of actual pressure vs the gauge readout...ya know?