LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Magna-spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Re: Magna-spark

Originally Posted by tinbender59
HUM??? i wonder if there is a way to get CNP, with the OPTI signals??? wouldnt that be way cool??? get the Hi voltage out of there, seal it tight, and go. best of all worlds!!!!

RATS!! for next project or the third one
That's EXACTLY what the Bailey Engineering LTCC does.....

Bailey LTCC setup

And I've been running that way using the MoTeC ECU for 14 years.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
That's EXACTLY what the Bailey Engineering LTCC does.....

Bailey LTCC setup

And I've been running that way using the MoTeC ECU for 14 years.

that is cool stuff right there!! I would like to see the wiring for installing that setup
Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Administrator

The ECU is a MoTeC M48Pro using the MoTeC IEX 8-channel ignition driver. The LT1 interface was devolped in part by Bill Hunsberger at Second Street Speed in Perkasie, PA. At the time, Bill was one of only six MoTeC general performance tuners in the USA (MoTeC is an Australian company). At the time one of the other tuners was Kenny Dutweiler... you may have heard of him.

Bill installed the first LT1 system on George Baxter's 9.05-second/156MPH 97 30th Anniversary SS convertible, 4,000# race weight. For 2 years in the late 90's it was the fastest known LT1. He reworked it maxing out at 1,125HP at the flywheel, headed for the 8's, running into problems with the prototype Vorteh S/C shedding blade tips.

George gave up on the LT1, built a new 383 using a Dart Iron Eagle block, Brodix spread bore heads, and an even bigger Vortech S/C. Steve Spohn built and tweeked a major part of the suspension. Still running a MoTeC with 8 LS1 CNP. Car ran in the PRO/Edelbrock Extreme Street series, running low 8's ar close to 170 MPH. Was making 1,350 HP at the flywheel.

I also watched Bill Hunsberger working on a Viper V10, developing the cam sensor to allow it to run 10 LS1 coils. Engine was being installed in an old school Barracuda.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-22-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Ok guys, motor is back together, need to fill it with oil, water, install the cap and rotor (vortec) then light it off. I will drive for a bit, then Saturday (if nothing comes up) switch it to the MagnaTronX, and see if I am 180 out or dead on. stay tuned
Old 12-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Two steps forward, and then one back!!! finally lit the truck off adjusted the rocker arms, had to pull the fuel rails - (had a cut O-ring on #3 injector) cot it all closed up, installed alternator, went to put the accessory belt on, then I found a big problem. the spacers that I used behind the WP to give me access to the MagnaTronX with out pulling the WP, are in the way of the automatic belt tensioner; long story short I cant get the belt on the truck. Time for plan Q, A through P have been used already So the best plan that I can come up with at this moment is to get it running on the MagnaTronX before I pull the truck out of the shop???

Last edited by tinbender59; 12-04-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:33 PM

well Shat!!!! about 45 min to an hour more, I will be ready to kick it off on the MagnaTronX, or at least try to. I have the quick disconnect in place, the MagnaTronX is within 4 degrees or the Vortec Distributor. need to conect power and ground to the MagnaTronX, reinstall cap and rotor on the Vortec, then kick it. Had to quit and come to work: dang blast grumble grumble lol !!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 PM

I've hit a snag, the motor has a miss now, possable bad injector. I gotta get the truck back up and running so I will be putting a Vortec back in. I then will set the LT up on a start and run stand, to work out the details on my mods where I can get to them. so we are on hold for a while. sorry guys, I'll get a new thread started when I get back to it. I did pick up a 1976 El Camino for road testing this setup. lol