LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

are LT's THAT superior to SLP's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 PM

are LT's THAT superior to SLP's?

I'm installing the new cam package next week and am about to buy some headers to compliment it. I've heard alot of good things about the SLP's with y-pipe and was wondering if they will show approximately the same gains for power and sound. I'm buying y2k vette wheels also and may lower the car if it doesn't look right so ground clearance is my main concern on these crappy Ohio roads.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 PM

I cant tell you about the gains, but I think we should take a money poll up to draw the lines on headers. If you want your clearance stray away from LT's unless they are TPIS or FLP maybe. I am also from Ohio, how about this snow..I am at YSU.

-Dustin-
Old 03-16-2004, 10:34 PM

if you run flp's you might run into ground clearance issues expecially if your cars lowered. TPIS were ranked by gmhightech to be the best headers for our cars not only b/c they have among the highest gains but b/c there's no clearance issues w/ lowered cars. I have SLP's but no before and after dyno so can't help much sorry.
-b
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Bersaglieri
I cant tell you about the gains, but I think we should take a money poll up to draw the lines on headers. If you want your clearance stray away from LT's unless they are TPIS or FLP maybe. I am also from Ohio, how about this snow..I am at YSU.

-Dustin-
this snow is insane!!! I'm glad i put the Z back in the garage before it hit. I'm at OSU. Do you ever come over to National Trail Raceway?
I'm not worried about the money part of the headers, i just don't want to be driving down 270 and drag when i go over the overpasses. I thought about going with AS&M's and then having a custom y-pipe made to adapt to my 97 style cat-back. I have heard alot of good about the AS&M's too.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 PM

I gained 26 hp at the wheels with the slp's for the 94-95 cars.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 PM

What else did they say? Did they do a header review? Did they comment on SLP's?

WOW nice gains. Got the graph?

-Dustin-
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by bdc95ta
if you run flp's you might run into ground clearance issues expecially if your cars lowered. TPIS were ranked by gmhightech to be the best headers for our cars not only b/c they have among the highest gains but b/c there's no clearance issues w/ lowered cars. I have SLP's but no before and after dyno so can't help much sorry.
-b
yeah I heard about the TPIS, but i heard you have to beat one of the primaries so it will clear the steering linkage. I'm not interested in buying a header you have to destroy just to install it.
...well, unless all headers are like that.
how do you like your SLP's? any gains at the track?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 PM

TPIS quotes 30rwhp on their Longtube, so 26 rwhp with SLP's isnt that far off. I say not worth it if you have SLP's already. But I am very interesting in the SLP gains, I never knew they were so great.

-Dustin-
Old 03-16-2004, 11:15 PM

What else did they say? Did they do a header review? Did they comment on SLP's?

WOW nice gains. Got the graph?

-Dustin-
I still have it, but i don't have a scanner. It was dynoed at the same place before and after. My car is lowered, which is why i went with the slp's. They were the only header with a 1 3/4 primary, and the AS&M's were much more expensive at the time. Since then, the SLP's went up in price.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:16 PM

TPIS quotes 30rwhp on their Longtube, so 26 rwhp with SLP's isnt that far off. I say not worth it if you have SLP's already. But I am very interesting in the SLP gains, I never knew they were so great.

-Dustin-
you also have to take into consideration area under the curve on a dyno chart. i read the lt's have more area under the curve, and that the shorter ones peak at higher rpm's. area under the curve is more important than peak numbers. i'll probably go with some midlengths or the SLP's unless someone can give me some dyno sheets and convince me to go with TPIS LT's
Old 03-16-2004, 11:16 PM

look into jethot LT's. ive been researching up on headers for quite sometime and they seem like the best. they have a lifetime guarantee from rust and are prob cheaper. i ordered mine a few days ago and everybody i talked to that has them say that they hug the floorboards. i was worried also about ground clearance.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:23 PM

Yes, I know the area underneath is important, but it is nice that the peaks are so close.

JetHots are on my list they are great headers.

We need to get your graphs scanned somehow, do you have before and after? Know anyone with a fax machine or Scanner?

-Dustin-
Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 PM

I'll try to scan them tomorrow afternoon at work. I have the before and after. Peak torque with the slp's was 306 at 3200 rpms.

I just finished my cam swap, and I would probably gain a bit more with LT's than with the shorties, but like i said, i'm lowered, so i can't do LT's.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

I've got Hooker LTs on my car with no clearance problems. They fit pretty well.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:30 AM

What issue is that magazine? I may backorder it if i can

I'd love to read the scans man!!!!!!

Quick Reply: are LT's THAT superior to SLP's?