LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lts and GMMG on a dd??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:41 AM

Lts and GMMG on a dd??

im ordering my gmmg catback in 2 weeks,and hopefully in a month or so ill be ordering some long tubes,will this setup be too loud for a daily driver?? if i have to ill have a hi flow cat installed to tame it some,but will this still be too loud???
Old 03-17-2006, 04:51 AM

Re: Lts and GMMG on a dd??

No, I think the system sounds great. Everyone has an opinion of what "too" loud is. One of my friends says that mine in too loud, but I can't tell inside the cabin. Then when I tell him to take the car down the road so that I can hear it...I don't think is sounds too loud at all. Sounds just plain @$$ mean, LOL. You will like...trust me and the others who have it.

-Tim
Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Showme
No, I think the system sounds great. Everyone has an opinion of what "too" loud is. Some on my buddies says that mine in too loud, but I can't tell inside the cabin. Then when I tell one them to take the cart down the road so that I can hear it...I don't think is sounds too loud at all. Sounds just plain @$$ mean, LOL. You will like...trust me and the others who have it.

-Tim
sweet, the reason im asking is because one of my friends took me for a ride in his supercharged 01 TA and it has slp LTs with a borla catback and its super loud
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by beeker82
sweet, the reason im asking is because one of my friends took me for a ride in his supercharged 01 TA and it has slp LTs with a borla catback and its super loud
What plate did he have in the Borla? I had Mac Midlengths, ORY, and Borla on my LS1 and it was way too loud for me with anything but the full block off plate which forced all the exhaust through the muffler. Even then it was still pretty loud, but not unbearable. You should've heard it with the LM on there before I swapped to the Borla. I felt like Jimmie Johnson.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:30 AM

or you could just get pacesetter coated longtubes for 370.00, summit x pipe for 33 and 2 dynomax bullets for 30 a piece. Hook up true duels and save 200 bucks. instead of spending 800 on a catback...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Yea, that'll be nice and quiet. lol
Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 PM

its loud, but not too loud
Old 03-17-2006, 04:22 PM

It will sound good, I don't think the addition of a cat will help at all.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:27 PM

I had it on my old 94 T/A... got tons of compliments and a very nice unobtrusive sound... there are clips on LS1 sounds, one of the only LT1s with GMMG and LTs, check it out if you wish. Next setup I'm probably gonna ditch the cats because I'd like to try something new, good luck

-J
Old 03-18-2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Critter
or you could just get pacesetter coated longtubes for 370.00, summit x pipe for 33 and 2 dynomax bullets for 30 a piece. Hook up true duels and save 200 bucks. instead of spending 800 on a catback...
i wouldnt have crap for ground clearance though would I?
Old 03-18-2006, 07:49 AM

It'll sound incredible! Trust me.

The GMMG sounds really deep when added to the stock manifolds and cat. Its an awesome muscular tone that you wont find with other catback. Youll have some interior resonance but not too much. Then when you go to the LT's and drop the cat itll get more throaty but still stay nice and deep sounding. The interior resonance will be way less and I'll sound absolutely hell bound at WOT. You'll love it, dont worry about it. I was concerned about how loud it would get, but it turned out great and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Speaking of, just today I got another compliment from some guy at work.

If you search under my name and GMMG Chambered Exhaust you should find my page long psot on the system and sound.

-Dustin-
Old 03-18-2006, 12:08 PM

It will be loud but too loud is for you ....or the local police to decide.
The part I don't like about my setup is the BLAT BLAT BLAT noises on hard acceleration, otherwise the loudness doesn't bother me.

Here are a couple of recordings of my Firebird being revved that I made
when I changed from the Borla (closed) to the GMMG
Old 03-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by KOSletten
It will be loud but too loud is for you ....or the local police to decide.
The part I don't like about my setup is the BLAT BLAT BLAT noises on hard acceleration
I have never had a single cop give me problems about my GMMG setup, and I've been pulled over about 6-7 times. Just dont be going WOT right next to one.

What is this blat blat blat you speak of. I know no one who has ever described a blat sound from a GMMG system? Perhaps its just your configuration?

-Dustin-
Old 03-18-2006, 02:06 PM

I had somewhat of you described, I also had cats however... didn't really bother me, in fact I kinda liked it... maybe I'm just wierd. I'd love to hear a catless LTed GMMG setup in person, my buddy's LS1 doesn't sound as great as I'd hope

-J
Old 03-18-2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I have never had a single cop give me problems about my GMMG setup, and I've been pulled over about 6-7 times. Just dont be going WOT right next to one.

What is this blat blat blat you speak of. I know no one who has ever described a blat sound from a GMMG system? Perhaps its just your configuration?

-Dustin-
is the gmmg a full catback exhaust,or just the rear section?

Quick Reply: Lts and GMMG on a dd??