LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT4 spark knocking when engine lugs???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Re: LT4 spark knocking when engine lugs???

Running rich reduces detontation. Running lean increases it.

Hard to believe if you have a speed-density tune, the programmer hasn't diddled with the knock retard parameters. Even if he reduced the knock sensitivity, it would seem that there's too much timing advance in the low RPM/moderate-to-high MAP portion of the timing map. Sounds like you may have other serious issues with the tune if its belching black smoke at idle.

Once you get into a highly modified tune, it makes it almost impossible for anyone to accurately diagnose the problem over the Internet.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 PM

I'd get a scanner on it and see how much timing you are getting at 65-100 kPa Map and 1200-2400 rpm.

For whatever reason, my tuner added a TON of advance over the stock tune in that area of the spark map(between 10 and 18 extra deg advance - if anyone who reads this knows why someone would do this please tell me!!). I was getting audible pinging whenever i would floor it at a low rpm in 4th/5th/6th. I reverted the timing closer to stock and it dramatically improved the situation - audible pinging is gone, and the rest is being taken care of by the PCM pulling a little timing in that range through knock retard.

I wouldnt look at is as loosing out on performance either, as any knock you get is killing your performance anyways.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM

well my wife and I are making the trip home this weekend and i'm taking it up there to let him hook it back up to see what's going on...

is there anything paremeters that i need to be looking for b/c when it comes to a tune that i'm in the dark about, i mean i'm sure he knows what he's doing but if i could look and know what to look for by giving you guys my symptons maybe i can point it out.....should i look at the O2 settings or knock retard, timing advance or what....

btw thanks alot guys even though you got me kind of worried now

what does it sound like is off in the tune to make it belch black smoke at takeoff from a light?