LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT4 and LT1 question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 PM

LT4 and LT1 question...

I have got a ported and polished LT4 setup right now, A friend of mine has a top mount blower for an LT1. I know the head angles are different between LT1 and LT4, but i dont know which direction. If the LT4 heads have less of an angle, Does anyone make an adapter so I could bolt the LT1 Blower to my LT4 heads? Or do the LT4 heads have a steeper so the Blower wouldnt even fit?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

There is no "head angle" difference between the LT4 and LT1 heads. The intake ports are a different size, and the valve cover rail is placed slightly higher on the side of the head to provide for the taller ports, but that's the only differences.

The problem people run into occurs when people try to put the LT4 intake on LT1 heads, and the tops of the LT4 intake runners hit the lower valve cover rail on the LT1 heads. But has nothing to do with different head angles.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 PM

ok, fair enough.. learn something every day... so would I run into flow or other problems bolting the LT1 blower onto the LT4 heads?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Are you indicating that the "top mount" blower comes with its own intake manifold? If so, you need to make sure the intake port dimensions are close to matching the head port dimensions/location. A "lip" will hurt air flow.

Note also that if your heads have been milled by a large amount, you may have a problem getting the bolts to line up with a manifold that is drilled for stock head height.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 PM

The LT1 intake ports "should" be smaller than the LT4 head ports and a lip that way is not so bad. Now if the intake is a really large one then you could get into trouble because if it is bigger or missaligned from the head ports then you have a big hole feeding a small one which is turbulent.

There are very few blower setups for LT1s like that, have pics or know who built it??? Most of them are pretty custom setups and I have seen them a few ways, just curious to see if it is a setup I am familiar with. Seen some BIG torque numbers out of one shops version of this using a Lightning blower.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:54 PM

i would guess that the intake ports to the "top mount" blower would be smaller since its designed for a LT1, and the heads are LT4. I can try to check what brand it is and everything, its from a friend of a friend... it comes with everything I need to put it on, pulleys and all, so ya, it comes with the intake manifold for it. So I would run into more problems if the blower intake ports were bigger, or smaller? or would it just be bad either way?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

If you've studied air flow using water or air flow models, you will see that both a "sudden enlargement" (manifold port smaller than head port) and a "sudden contraction" (manifold port larger than the head port) will cause significant flow disturbances. When I've designed and analyzed air and liquid flow systems, I've found that both of these situations need to be taken into account for the amount of pressure loss they cause.

http://www.corneltechweb.com/superchargerweb.htm

Not very impressive results (420 rwhp and 424 rwtq), but it looks good.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-23-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 AM

I havent looked at your link yet, but everything helps a lot, kind of what I was thinking. So i'll prob just have to get some LT1 heads... And still havent found out the brand and everything, but will today.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 PM
bbk

I would be really interested to see this LT1 blower kit your talking about, do you have some pics? If you want to you should wait until spring and I will have my whipple LT1 kit ready! I am ready to cast the first manifold shortly after Christmas which I have designed as a universal manifold to accomodate the TVS or Whipple! The kit version will be for the Whipple 140ax and the whipple 175ax if they ever get me a price for the 175 ax ? I know I haven't updated my site but I much rather build that play on the the web! There will be updates soon!
Cornel
www.corneltechweb.com
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 PM

omg i would love to have something like that