LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1/T56 into 2nd Gen Swap

Old 04-15-2007, 05:39 PM

LT1/T56 into 2nd Gen Swap

i will be purchasing an lt1/t56 setup very shortly. I am in the mind set of buying a 2nd gen and doing a lt1/t56 swap. I know this has probubly already been done a couple times on here but i would like to here more about it. Can somebody tell me the problems that they ran into while doing the swap and what is all involved in doing the conversion over? if there is any sites dedicated to this conversion or write ups? much appreciated.

thanks,
matt
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 AM

so theres nobody here that has done this or knows of the obstacles????
Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM

The actual swap part should be fairly painless. 2nd gens have a lot of room so an lt1 with stock exhaust manifolds should fit no problem. The only things that will give you issues are if you want to run headers (someone else will have to chime in though this may very well be a non issue as well) and the speedometer gauge. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#1995_pcm_pinouts Pull your signal for the tachometer from pin A13 (13th pin on the Red connector). The fuel gauge doesn't need to me touched and the water temperature if the sending unit for the stock system screws into the side of the head i'd just take the stock sending unit and put it in the passenger side head (may need a fitting adaptor to do this). If your 2nd gen has a voltage gauge it can tie into practically any switched 12 volt source. Most of the stuff should be relatively the same as the 2nd gen, the starter hookup, the alternator hookup. For steering the easiest is to ditch any power steering components and run a manual rack.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 PM

It's an easy swap. Poke around on thirdgen.org all the same stuff will apply to your older car as applies to these.
Use 2 gen headers for a small block, use the LT1 power steering pump, just plumb it in to the old power steering box. I did the swap in a 3rd gen and used Buick Roadmaster accessories, so just used the Buick PS pressure hose as the steering boxes are the same in the older GM's Use a corvette or other PS reservoir.
I modified my T56 tailshaft to use both the VSS for the computer and drive the mechanical speedo. Check out jagsthatrun.com? and search for others that do T56 tailshaft mods. Pretty simple. PM me if you want machining drawings of how to do it.
Most of the sending units for guages will work on the older cars as well, just plug'em in.
Either fab from a stocker or buy a wiring harness, get the PCM reprogrammed and you're done.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 AM

sweet thanks for input guys i really appreciate all this info. im not too mechanically inclined and i dont want to get myself into a huge mess and a never ending project because nothing works and i have to track and make custom parts to fit up between the two. does anyone know if the driveshafts are the same?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Driveshafts are the same as in 3rd gens (ie swap can use same shaft). The 2nd gens would have had TH350's which I think are shorter than the 700R4's..so you may need a shorter shaft. Only worth about $400..for new a custom IF you need it. You can rework a stocker for about $100.