LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

lt1 stalling after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Re: lt1 stalling after warm up

Thank you injuneer I was actually waiting for your response I don't remember the colors off hand for the maf but I did use the black as ground. The one wire tested like 11.8 volts or something which may be odd and the other wire tested 5v which is the reference from the computer correct? No the code has not come back it was only once. I haven't taken the car out but I do let it idle and it does studder and stall after some time of idle. But the code has not returned. What is a good way to test it. The only other thing I did notice is my old maf was descreened and installed backwards not sure who did that. But either way even with the new maf it still does it.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Partial update:

Well today the temperature outside is at least 25° cooler than the last few days so the car at idle wasn't reaching the temps that it normally does when its 80° out. The iat temps were about 10° less and the coolant temp the same so I'm assuming if its a heat related problem its just not hot enough out. I let it sit and idle for almost 45 min. The car ran fine with the maf plugged and unplugged. Obviously I need to take the car for a ride to see how it reacts but even when I let the car sit idle it does the issue like clockwork except today with the lower temp.
Can you drive the vehicle with maf unplugged kinda like the 93s?

On top of that I believe now I hear a kind of thunk thunk thunk under my driver side valve cover. Its not a tick like an exhaust leak kind of a muffled rattle.

Its something new that I'm not sure if I've heard my car do before
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Update again:

Took the car out and it ran perfectly fine. It actually scared me BC I had one plug wire that wasn't fully hooking to the opti weeks ago and I fixed so its actually getting power.

I do have a question on something that I overlooked. I just put gas in my car. I previously filled up the tank in November and put it in storage. I did out stabilizer in it but is there still a possibility that it could have been bad gas?

When I took it for a ride I wasnt being nice to it either. And again I did say i don't remember having this problem last year.....

Last edited by CamaroSS30thAnn; 05-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Oh that thunk thunk went away after I took it out which means it was a rattle Or the oil needed to be circulated a bit more or knock from bad gas?

Last edited by CamaroSS30thAnn; 05-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM

The ICM could still be the problem according to what you are saying. Detonation noises and running hot are possible diagnosis of this. The head would be hotter bleeding backwards beyond design intent.

If you end up trying the washer trick to extend the ICM try to use insulating studs that will not transfer heat. I had tried it but that didn't work well, it was still just about as hot to the touch. Remounting it in the air stream of the fan makes it cooler than human touch. Use heat transfer grease if needed.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Thank you I'll keep updating if the problem persists and the ICM will be the next target of interest. I had a problem a few years back and I believe the ICM was replaced then but not sure
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 PM

I chased this ghost for months. Turned out to be a head gasket leak. As soon as the weather started warming up it just made it's presence ever more known as the engine was running hotter. I chased the usually "It might be this" ghost but on one summer day the temp needle shot up and the car would run and then die and not care to start for me again. That's all I could get her to do start and then die. Only ran good/okay when it was cool.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Lt4monsta I had something similar like that happen with my girls focus. The difference is the symptoms with what your talking about were random
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Well guys my last update. I'm going ton have to chalk this up to bad gas. I filled it up twice now since and I've had no problems. As a precaution today I did the ICM mod so its not solo close to the head....

Thank you everyone for your help .
Old 03-31-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
No codes just the maf close I got which I think was a false code BC of the issue . It starts and runs fine idles for 10-15 min after warm up then studders and struggles to idle and dies out. Then its a hard start unless I let it cool down then it s starts right away but won't idle .
1993 Camaro lt1 replaced everthing possible still when it warms up it just dies it will start rite back up when u let off the key it dies
Old 03-31-2018, 07:15 PM
Administrator

After it stalls, what happens when you turn the key to "run" - do the dash lights light up? Does the volt meter work? Next, what happens when you turn the key to “start” - does the starter crank the engine? Does it sound like some cylinders are firing, and it’s trying to start? Or nothing at all?