LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 HP gains??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Question LT1 HP gains??

Alright so I'm pretty new to LT1s and engine mods in general and I'm looking for a little guidance here. I've got a basically stock 1994 Z28 with a few mods like CAI, throttle body bypass and air foil, shift kit, and a few things like that. So far I've done oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, etc.. just routine maintanence to make sure she's running right. Basically I want to know where I should go next...

it's got the stock exhaust manifolds w/ a different exhaust, not sure if performance or not but the previous owner told me it wasnt stock. its got a very loud low rumble to it so i assume its better than stock

What I want...
-As much HP possible without sacrificing MPG's too much
-maybe around 350 HP?

Looking to spend up to $1000 so I'm kind of on a tight budget. What can I do to maximize my power with what Ive got?

Last edited by sabresfan; 06-20-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Re: LT1 HP gains??

I was thinking LT4 hot cam kit with a tune and a set of headers?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM

hey,

I just got done with an UnderDrive Pulley. i bought a March U/D... its about 34% smaller diameter than the stock. the way that belts routed, itll effect the alternator a little. with A/C full blast, music blaring, and my headlights and fogs on, the power does dip at idle, but it has given me a little better gas mpg, and she does feel smoother. im not complaining about any dipping needle, like some people no offense to them obviously. it was pretty cheap, just wait for one to show on this forum, or ls1.com or corvetteforum.com under the C4 P/S. or..you can buy it new..up to you. you will need three new grade 8 bolts, and a smaller belt. you can get the bolts in lowes, and the belt at advance auto. thats where i got mine, all in all, it was near $70.

for other mods try hitting WS6.COM --he da man

also, i know you said you did a CAI, but i will soon be performing a CAI to LS1 lid conversion, its also listed on that site above. anything to help the breathing on both sides will gain power..

good luck bro,

al
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Yeah I thought about doing the underdrive pulley but it didnt seem worth it to me, not much gain and I just replaced my power steering pump so I put on a brand new drive belt. As far as the CAI to the SLP lid, I really want to get an SS hood before I paint it so I could make the scoop functual for intake purposes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM

i would buy a nice set of headers and save the rest for spring , rockers
and a professional tune new to this myself I'm happy how mine turned
out cost me $1200. for the rockers , tune &installation

Last edited by parkers Z28; 06-20-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 PM

just put a set of 373 gears in it that will cost under a $1000.00 and you will really feel te difference or a shot of gas.Heads and cam is the only way you will get to 350 hp on motor.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by tnyce
just put a set of 373 gears in it that will cost under a $1000.00 and you will really feel te difference or a shot of gas.Heads and cam is the only way you will get to 350 hp on motor.
Cam-only LT1s routinely put down 350+ HP.

A gear swap should be less than $500 too...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Of course we don't know if he's looking for 350HP at the flywheel or at the rear wheels.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 PM

at the wheels would be ideal
Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 AM

You won't hit that number with a $1000 budget. You'd have to shop around on ebay and buy some used parts. Even something simple like a cam swap to the Comp 503 will necessitate new springs, retainers, locks, then you'll need gaskets and a tune, and you'd be well over $1k even if you do all of the work yourself.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Of course we don't know if he's looking for 350HP at the flywheel or at the rear wheels.
Originally Posted by sabresfan
at the wheels would be ideal
150-shot of nitrous is about the only way to get close for $1,000.

I can't believe that someone who worships WS6.com actually recommended an U/D pulley, which was documents at picking up 0.7 peak HP.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM

well i just kind of had a number in my head, not looking for 350 specifically. as much as i can gain on a budget basically, without sacrficing mpg. I'm picking up a nice set of used flp long tubes with high flow cats and a y pipe for 300 bucks. I'm going to stick with that for the time being and probably end up buying the LT4 hot cam kit and a set of 3.73 gears in the future
Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 PM

update: OK so I bought A set of FLP long tube headers w/ high flow cats and a y-pipe. should be a great set up. I also bought a used LT4 hot cam kit w/ only 500 miles, a timing set, pushrods & an extra set of lt1 heads w/ a 3 angle valve job. Everything I stated above set me back about $850. shipping really sucked for all that I'm going to install everything with my mechanic so hopefully labor charges wont be too bad & plus all the new fluids & gaskets i need...

What kind of HP can I expect with all of that, the CAI, throttle body airfoil, & eventually a tune? Is there anything i should know or do before i go ***** deep into this project that would make my gains better?

And how can i tell if the header set up will fit onto my current exhaust? The header set up are 1 3/4 primary into a 2.5" y pipe. But im not sure if my exhaust is stock, it does still have stock exhaust manifolds
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by sabresfan
update: OK so I bought A set of FLP long tube headers w/ high flow cats and a y-pipe. should be a great set up. I also bought a used LT4 hot cam kit w/ only 500 miles, a timing set, pushrods & an extra set of lt1 heads w/ a 3 angle valve job. Everything I stated above set me back about $850. shipping really sucked for all that I'm going to install everything with my mechanic so hopefully labor charges wont be too bad & plus all the new fluids & gaskets i need...

What kind of HP can I expect with all of that, the CAI, throttle body airfoil, & eventually a tune? Is there anything i should know or do before i go ***** deep into this project that would make my gains better?

And how can i tell if the header set up will fit onto my current exhaust? The header set up are 1 3/4 primary into a 2.5" y pipe. But im not sure if my exhaust is stock, it does still have stock exhaust manifolds
You need to get the tune along with the cam/header install. Many people claim you can run the LT4 hotcam on the stock tune however I would certainly not recommend it.

Typical hotcam-only setups put down 310-325HP. Those heads (sorry to say) that you bought won't help much if at all.

FLPs were designed to mate up to a stock catback so if your exhaust has changed then there's no guarantee it will be plug and play. When it comes to exhaust work you need to be prepared for any unexpected welding jobs.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM

The heads were part of the deal, it was the same price either way so i took em. I hope the flp's will bolt right on with the setup i have, planning on doing those first and eventually the lt4 hot cam kit. I want to have it tuned but I also want to end up with 3.73 gears and possibly a torque convertor so i might wait on getting it tuned to do everything i want first.

When i go to do the headers it would probably be a good time to do the plugs and wires and inspect the cylinders to make sure my engine is healthy