LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Head & Intake Port/Polisher Experts. I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 10:57 PM

Red face LT1 Head & Intake Port/Polisher Experts. I have a few questions.

O.k. This may get long. I have a set of GTP Stage 2 heads that I bought off another member slightly used. Well I sent the heads to get Hot Tanked & Flowed. I just went to pick up the heads & found them to be as dirty as when I dropped them off! I cleaned 1 of them by hand & left the other dirty & full of carbon before I took them to the pros. My question is what "Exactly" is involved in Hot tanking them? Should they come back looking new? Do they remove the valves when doing this? Do they replace the valve seals? Etc....etc...etc.. These heads were not cleaned at all & I paid for it!!

Next question is my intake. I had them port match the intake to the heads. Well the intake is definately ported but not so smooth. The Chambers on my GTP Heads are as smooth as silk compared to the chambers on the intake that I just had done. Is this normal? I was told the intake is done this way to help mix up the air coming in to better mix with the fuel. If this is the case then why bother touching the intake? The stock rough casting should be doing a great job of helping the air swirl to mix with the gas better.... Or when I ask for a port matched intake should it too be as smooth as silk when done. Also they only went into the chambers of the intake about an inch & 1 half. Is this normal? I paid $150 bucks for this intake to be port matched & as far as I am concerned I could have done a better job myself.

Please help me understand this. Right now I feel something was not properly done right...

Thanks very much. I hope you understand what I am describing...
Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 PM

Generally when you port match the intake the chambers should be somewhat ruff. They shouldn't be chopped up but the smoothness shouldn't be polished/smooth. The ruffer surface helps to get a better air/fuel mixture. As for the hot tank thing, I guess Im not sure but from what I have seen, I thought they would always look pretty much like new..

Aaron
Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Banned

i just asked this in advanced tech-

as far as hot tanking... umm it should come back without carbon- thats for DAMN sure
Old 06-11-2003, 12:01 AM

Red face

They do get torn down when Hot Tanking right? Hence no Valves, springs,& seals?
Old 06-11-2003, 05:51 AM

Most placed that do aluminum heads have a cleaner that is designed for this. It uses hot soapy water to clean and does a good job. Alot of tranny shops have them as well. If they are not getting clean, they might not have the right "soap" or they might need to change it.

If you want to clean them yourself, Castrol Superclean works well.

Like the person above asked, I hope they are doing the heads BARE.

NightTrain66
Old 06-11-2003, 07:12 AM

Just got mine back. Just a valve job and hot tanked. (They might have glass beaded them too?) Came out looking brand new and VERY VERY clean.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:22 PM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by 94_Z28_guy
Just got mine back. Just a valve job and hot tanked. (They might have glass beaded them too?) Came out looking brand new and VERY VERY clean.
Yep. I talked to a couple of other shops & they said they get torn down & come out looking 99% new...

Thanks guys.