LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 coil pack conversion and opti question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 PM

LT1 coil pack conversion and opti question

I just had a 383 built and installed in my 1993 z28. I want to get a new opti for it, as one of the parts i would like to freshen up under the hood to compliment the new motor. I've heard alot about the opti coil pack conversion but is it worth getting? And are there any other brands besides Delteq qho makes this kit. Delteq makes a 4 coil conversion, so each spark plug utilizes one coil pack. I have heard there is an 8 coil pack conversion kit but I havn't been able to locate it. I also heard MSD makes the conversion kit but I didn't see it on their website. I do know it is pricey and probably something I don't NEED to have esp. since I don't race my car.
Also, if I decide to just get a new opti spark, is there a company that makes a higher output or 'upgrade' from a GM opti. And if so, is it even worth getting or should I just get a new GM opti?
The cheapest I have found the coil pack conversion kit for was about $700.00. the cheapest i have found an aftermarket upgraded opti for was around $500.00. And a new GM opti even with my discount from the shop I work at. taking a guess, is going to cost probably at least $400.00.

Just looking for some guidance on what may be the best bang for the buck and where I can find these parts I'm interested in.

I hesitate a bit on getting a new GM optispark because I have 135k on the body of the car, overall mileage, and am on my 4th opti !

Thanks to everyone who lends a hand.

Giovanni
Old 12-11-2005, 07:57 AM

Re: LT1 coil pack conversion and opti question

ltcc by bob baily
around $800 all said and done if I remember correctly.
worth it? not sure? probably not.
-b
Old 12-11-2005, 08:14 AM

I'm kinda in the same boat. After research and many searches I decided to just upgrade to a vented opti and mabey go with a new MSD opti when the stocker craps out, if it craps out. The cheapest Ive found a vented opti for was in the $220-$260 range. I would like the Delteq or the LTCC but I just cant justify it right now. Right now the MSD vented opti is at the top of the list and thats only if the new vented opti I have doesnt last.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

The MSD unit is not a "conversion", its simply a replacement Opti that may be of a higher quality. As far as I know, no one has actually seen one yet, so its hard to tell how good they are.

There is already an upgraded Opti on the market, called Dynaspark.

The Bailey LTCC system, mentioned above:

http://www.geocities.com/reilym/LTCC/
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM

I went with the Delteq Kit, and I think I spent closer to the $500 mark, not including Plug wires (~$70 Taylor Customs). That was buying the bare-bones kit from Elite, Coil packs off Ebay, and Wires from a local place. I made the mounting brackets myself to mount the coils onto the intake instead of anywhere's else. Best ignition investment I could've made in a while.

The LTCC unit is nice, and has more features, but requires fabbing of all the mounting for the coils, whereas the Delteq comes with mounting hardware for the person who can not do fabrication and wants a plug-n-play solution.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM

I ended up using a Delteq system with a new vented opti for my 385...it worked well for a couple of months, then started missing and fouling plugs like crazy. A new set of wires fixed the problem (the ones that came with the Delteq were total crap). I used some Accel wires (Jegs #110-7010, intended for a BB Chevy) and they fit like a dream. It's been over 6 months since I've installed them and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

After all of the bull I had to put up with the first two or three optis I had installed on this motor, I'd say it's well worth the money to go ahead and buy a Delteq. If you can get the kit without the wires and go with the Accel wires, even better.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

Gio -

The opti question is like back surgery.

As long as your opti keeps working, leave it be.

If and when it finally breaks, just go right to a coil pack conversion.