LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT Q's/ O2 q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:49 AM

LT Q's/ O2 q's

Ok so i am installing a Set of Grot LT's on my car as we speak. Now i can block off the EGR easily. But the AIR is what im worried about can i just cut a lot of the pipes down and leave everything in there or does the actual pump have to come out. This install is a pain in my ***.

Also the stock length O2's wont reach to the LT's. And i was wondering if i could make my own extensions with just some simple wire adding by splicing and stuff or do i need to oreder extions. Also I cant get teh ****in O2's out of the stock manifolds. I was thinkin bout takin it to the muffler shop to see if they could cut em out or somethin.

The only really hard part about this install was the stock manifolds. Took us almost 10 hours to get the stock ones out. There a pain. But after we go tthose out the LT's went in pretty good i just have to order some different bolts.

But any help would be appreciated

Thnks
Chris
Old 09-11-2004, 06:20 AM

Re: LT Q's/ O2 q's

Some O2's can't be soldered, but I don't know if the ones on LT1's are that way. Sorry. If the O2s you have, have vents at the top above the hex shank then they can be soldered. I will tell you this, many folks have screwed up O2's by installing them when they first fire up the car. I can't say absolutely, but it seems that something in the pipes is burning off and contaminating the O2's. May I make a suggestion?

Go to a junkyard and cut off the ends of the harness that connect the O2s if you can find them. Get both halves. Make you a jumper with the connectors that just plugs into your harness. Also get some of that flame guard jacket from Earls or the like if you make up the jumpers. Be sure you tie them so they can't touch the pipes. Don't just move them away from the pipes, tie them back. Use the old O2s to start the car and run it for a couple of days and then replace them after that. If you don't want to buy new O2s right now, then run the engine with them out and then put them in after it cools. Sorry I couldn't be much more help.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:34 AM

U say run the engine w/o the O2's now wont this make it not run right and possibly make it go into like safe mode???
Old 09-11-2004, 03:53 PM

So i guess you decided to not buy new ones. Well if you run the car without them DON'T drive it. Just let it run till it quits smoking.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:57 PM

Well i made O2 extensions and bought some good header bolts and the headers are bolted up rightnow just not tightened cause i got some plans tonight. but tomorrrow they will be done and tightened with a Cideo Clip.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:17 AM

Do yourself a favor and run them for about 20 minutes and let them cool. Then tighten them again. Be sure your using locking bolts like stage 8's or those bolts with a set screw in the center. Can't remember the name of them. They look sweet. I'm going to use them next time.