LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

The low down on the Canton VC's-revision 2 w/double notch for alt

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 PM

The low down on the Canton VC's-revision 2 w/double notch for alt

I just got my Canton LT1 VC's today. They look awesome however there is a clearance issue with my Comp pro mags. Specifically the #2 cylinder outside rocker. Of course this is where the alternator notch out is. I have the most current version of the VC's with a double step for the alt and the rear bolt. The rear of the alt looks tight but I think it should be OK. My concern is with the RR clearance issue. I think that I can clearance it on the VC by using a body work dolly that has a slopping half moon. I think 1/8 - 1/4" should do it but I'm worried about beating up on these new VC's.

These are about the only good solution that I have found for a quality set of VC's for a decent price that deals with the Alt. issue. It just sucks about the clearance issue. I'll let you guys know how it comes out I do not have the height available but they are tall. They are kind of oversized but the more you look at them the better they seem to fit the engine space. The welds are awesome.

Before I bought them I made 2 calls to Canton about the issues with the earlier version that I have read about her on CZ28 and the alt. problems. The first call told me that they have only tried the Crane gold thin RR's and the LT4 RR's to fit. The second call told me that the Comp pro mags should fit. ????? Anyways the quality of these VC's and the way they bring your engine compartment up to a higher quality level over chrome VC's are worth the attempted mod on the RR clearance.

The point where the RR rubs is right on the side where the retaining ring is located and cannot be clearance. The bottom of the VC's have a partial retaining lip where the VC will grab the gasket and maybe help align the VC with the head. I do not know weather the LT1 or the LT4 gaskets are better as I am trying to reuse a decent set of unknown used orgion.

I let you guys know how the VC clearancing goes and maybe get a pic or 2 of them installed.

Last edited by RPWS6; 06-14-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2007, 03:30 PM

I tried a set of Canton's once and had the same clearance issue. I took a Dremel and slightly clearanced the two spots on the inside where the Promag's were tapping. I also kinda pulled the cover toward the front of the car while I tightened the bolts. Wound up not using them because I couldn't get them to seal to the AFR's. Turned out the center bolt holes were not drilled in the correct places. Got PO'd and fabbed my own set of covers.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Send them back. What happens if after you grind or dent them to get enough clearance for the rockers, you then run into the same problem as the above poster? (Sealing?) I dunno if I'd wanna take my chances trying to send a set of "modified" covers back to Canton for an exchange or refund.

You say these covers are a "revision 2?" I have to question the business ethics of a company that uses it's customers to R&D their product, especially at the price that Canton is charging for these covers.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 PM

YES!!!! I definitely second/third/fourth what thesoundandthefury suggested. Please send them back!!! Those things were the biggest waste of $$$ and a massive PITA to deal with. Also - the aluminum that they are made of is relatively soft and has no memory. So if you tighten them down to get a good seal (not even very tight), the tubes that the bolts go through will pull into the covers and leave indentations in the aluminum that is around the bolt holes. While your at it make shure that the bolts are the correct length, mine were too long, even with a thick gasket. Send them back, make Canton fix your problem!!! $190.00 aint cheap.

Last edited by ricehammer; 06-15-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Heres what I did to clearance mine. I sat the covers on the car to see where they touched. It was right where you said yours did. I took an autobody hammer, and put the cover in a vice, and tapped a bulge in it for clearance. Then I ground it down extra with the dremel grinder. I put it back on the car, and that was the ended of that. took me all of 30 minutes... but then again don't expect everything to be bolt on because the manufacturer said so. Sometimes it's just easier to fix yourself if you can, than wait 3 weeks. Clearance issues may also have to do with the gaskets your using. I'm using a LT4 Cork gasket.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
don't expect everything to be bolt on because the manufacturer said so. Sometimes it's just easier to fix yourself if you can, than wait 3 weeks.
True!! Believe me, I'm not afraid of modding parts to get them to fit. About 95% of the time, I'm successful with it. The other 5%, either I f'd up or there's an issue with the manufacture of the part. I just think that for $190, you shouldn't have to clearance the inside of the valve cover, have issues with alternator clearance and possibly have to change alt brackets and have the bolt holes drilled in the wrong locations so only half of the gasket width makes contact with the head surface. Maybe I just got a bad set
Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM

Canton VC's Update

Update--
The VC's are doing well.

PRO's-
No rubbing. Still looks great. Alt. fits in stock location.

CON's-
-they are made of Soft Aluminum metal and scratch very easily.
-Some of the bolts were a little long and required several washers up top to snug enough to prevent leaks on the pass. rear.
-Stock "Y" Alt. brkt needs to be cut to reuse. (Will see if I break the large alt brkt.??)

Overall, I like the look over chrome and basicly the only solution to work with Comp pro mags, and retain the stock alt location. And I got for under $200. They should make from better, harder aluminum.

I'd buy another set.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

They only win becasue they look so damn good, and the chances of the guy at the light having the same valve covers as you? highly unlikely.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:21 AM

for that price you could almost have a set of fully trimmed lt4 covers like me

although, they might not clear the rockers, for some reason mine were fine under the stock covers (And theyre 1.6s too..)

..kind of odd

do you have any pictures of how it "brings the engine bay together"?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 AM

I USED THESE AND CLEARANCED THE ALTERNATOR http://www.sdparts.com/images/produc...130_detail.jpg
I HAVE 1.6 PRO MAGS W/NO ISSUES