LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Low Buck Head Gasket Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Re: Low Buck Head Gasket Fix

Originally Posted by ray42
Patwac,

Those pix are pretty good, for a new borescope ace.

From here, I'd say that you have dodged a bullet. I'm guessing that you believe only one cylinder bank has a problem, which is usually correct. You have "scratches" and cross-hatching going around the cylinder walls, which is very good news at 148k miles. That engine probably spent a good portion of it's life running with full-synthetic oils, also good news. Gouges going up and down the cylinder walls would be bad news, and I don't see much of that (so far). Obviously, once you have seen all around inside each odd-numbered cylinder with a borescope, you would want to pull that head first, and let in some daylight for a better look there. At that point, I'd want some local experts to give it a second look, in person. Buy dinner, for their expert advice. You can get a lot of valuable tips, over a good meal.

So far, it all looks encouraging. The condition of rod bearings, end bearings, and main bearings would be guesswork from here, and you would need to look at them physically to be sure. The oil pressure gauge would give you a clue (if it runs healthy and steady), but that is not much to go on. If the coolant you have in the engine is mostly water, not antifreeze, you may dodge another bullet there, also. It's your call, on the bearings. Local experts may be helpful, there.

If new head gaskets and fresh oil does not get your Z running smoothly, you may have a problem in the Optispark. The LT1 Optispark does NOT like antifreeze (or even water). If coolant got in there, that could explain the hard starting and rough running, or maybe it was just the water in the cylinders, earlier. The Optispark is the Achilles heel of the LT1s, IMO. They are expensive to replace, and there is junk being sold new, so if needed, purchase by reputation, not by prices. Check for traces of coolant in or around that thing. You have a newer version there, with better sealing against coolant damage, so it may be okay anyway. Checking the Optispark's electrical operation needs gear that you and I do not have, but you can probably drive it to a good shop for that check.

Best wishes.
Awesome, thanks for analyzing the borescope pics, I'm really glad to hear that you are hopeful they are in good shape! Next step for me is to scope out 2, 4, 6, and 8 just for sanity, then start the disassembly. Unfortunately the last owner said he filled it up with Dex-Cool so I'm less confident about the bearings. I'm probably going to do the head gaskets and see how it runs, and hook a real oil pressure gauge up to the engine and monitor it. That's assuming new head gaskets and oil get it running better as you said.

As far as local experts, I am very skeptical about the knowledge of most mechanics, so I'd have to do some digging to find someone suitable. Kinda the reason I joined this forum haha But I will definitely take HD pics of the bores once the heads are off and post them here.

This weekend I will scope the even side cylinders and start to remove stuff. Stupid question: Are the fasteners on these engine metric (head bolts, exhaust manifold bolts)? I'm used to everything being all SAE . . .

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by patwhac
As far as local experts, I am very skeptical about the knowledge of most mechanics, so I'd have to do some digging to find someone suitable. Kinda the reason I joined this forum haha Are the fasteners on these engine metric (head bolts, exhaust manifold bolts)? I'm used to everything being all SAE . . .Thanks again!
Patwac,

Look to the racers and hot-rodders for engine expertise. Talk with engine rebuilders and automotive machine shops to locate the best experts there. They may be able to tell you about local forums there, to get you talking to good people near you. I would email Dex-Cool, tell them briefly about the situation, and ask if they can tell you what to watch out for, and in what order they would expect trouble. They may tell you nothing, or maybe give some good advice.

I know GM started using SOME metric hardware, on a mix & match basis, but I can't say when. Sad to say, but I'd bring both tool sets to the job.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Guide to some of the hardware, from Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-body, Fastener Torque and Spec Matrix

Head bolts are SAE. Can be either 1/2” or 5/8” head.

Already provided the factory service manual download link.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Guide to some of the hardware, from Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-body, Fastener Torque and Spec Matrix

Head bolts are SAE. Can be either 1/2” or 5/8” head.

Already provided the factory service manual download link.
Got it, thanks! And yes I've been leafing through (electronically) the service manual, super useful! Already read the step by step on both side head gasket changes. If the problem is only in one bank of cylinders, I'm assuming it's best practice to replace both sides anyways right?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

If it’s been seriously overheated, I would do both sides.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If it’s been seriously overheated, I would do both sides.
Out of curiosity, as the head gasket plays a role in compression ratio, unless he knew exactly what head gasket was used previously, wouldn't it be better to do both sides?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Administrator

He could measure the compressed thickness of the old gasket, and match it, if he only wanted to do one side. But I'm recommending changing both sides because there is an indication it was driven seriously overheated.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Wasn't able to work on the Z last weekend, I had to chase down a rough running problem on the Lincoln. But I did have time to open the hood and soak the exhaust manifolds with Gibbs. Will post pics of 2, 4, 6, and 8 bores next weekend!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 AM

I was able to sneak in a couple of hours on the Z after work yesterday, and was working on removing the passenger side plugs when I did something stupid! I let my socket wrench touch the power stud on the back of the alternator (which was uncovered for some reason) for a couple split seconds and made some sparks.

Naturally I disconnected the battery ground and kept working. When I reconnected the battery and went to try and bump the engine over to get the borescope a good view, the engine now will not crank. I have dash power, battery is still charged, fuses in the dash and under the relay box are all still good . . . What did I blow that's preventing the starter from cranking?
Old 05-09-2018, 12:16 PM

I was able to sneak in a couple of hours on the Z after work yesterday, and was working on removing the passenger side plugs when I did something stupid! I let my socket wrench touch the power stud on the back of the alternator (which was uncovered for some reason) for a couple split seconds and made some sparks. Naturally I disconnected the battery ground and kept working. When I reconnected the battery and went to try and bump the engine over to get the borescope a good view, the engine now will not crank. I have dash power, battery is still charged, fuses in the dash and under the relay box are all still good . . . What did I blow that's preventing the starter from cranking?
Patrick,

Did the engine crank, before the sparks? IOW, is the car in gear now? Clutch pedal depressed? Without the right schematics here, my guess is that there is a fusible link blown. It looks just like any electrical wire, but it acts as a fuse. It may be marked as a "fusible link" on the insulation. Trouble is, you usually can not see if they are blown or not, by looking. A voltmeter, measuring voltage at each end of the fusible link, will tell the tale. I do not know where they are located on the Z28, but typically on cars, they are located (electrically) between the battery and the fuse boxes. A loose or dirty battery terminal can also be the problem, not carrying enough power to crank the starter.

On the basis of "one disaster at a time," the immediate problem is to rotate the crankshaft. With all of the spark plugs removed, you should be able to turn the crankshaft with a wrench (or strap wrench) on the lower pulley.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ray42
Patrick,

Did the engine crank, before the sparks? IOW, is the car in gear now? Clutch pedal depressed? Without the right schematics here, my guess is that there is a fusible link blown. It looks just like any electrical wire, but it acts as a fuse. It may be marked as a "fusible link" on the insulation. Trouble is, you usually can not see if they are blown or not, by looking. A voltmeter, measuring voltage at each end of the fusible link, will tell the tale. I do not know where they are located on the Z28, but typically on cars, they are located (electrically) between the battery and the fuse boxes. A loose or dirty battery terminal can also be the problem, not carrying enough power to crank the starter.

On the basis of "one disaster at a time," the immediate problem is to rotate the crankshaft. With all of the spark plugs removed, you should be able to turn the crankshaft with a wrench (or strap wrench) on the lower pulley.
Gotcha, I was thinking fusible link as well but I wasn't able to locate one last time. I will dig some more and look between the battery and fuse box. But wouldn't a fusible link cut all power , not just the starter?

The car cranked no problem before I shorted the alternator . . . Will use a wrench on the balancer if necessary but I'd to get it cranking before I proceed . . .
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 PM

I did something stupid! I let my socket wrench touch the power stud on the back of the alternator (which was uncovered for some reason) for a couple split seconds and made some sparks.

Naturally I disconnected the battery ground and kept working. When I reconnected the battery and went to try and bump the engine over to get the borescope a good view, the engine now will not crank. I have dash power, battery is still charged, fuses in the dash and under the relay box are all still good . . . What did I blow that's preventing the starter from cranking?
you could have killed the starter

Typically chain auto part stores test for free...which would require removing it

IDK what fusible link the Alt is tied to...if it even is.

shbox.com would have some helpful wiring diagrams
Old 05-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Fusible links are all attached to the positive stud in the red plastic box near the battery:

Courtesy of Shoebox.

http://shbox.com/1/fusible.jpg

The 1996 factory manual I linked earlier will have the wiring diagrams. Shoebox also has 96/97 starter diagram:

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_96.jpg
Old 05-09-2018, 11:13 PM

Thanks to you both, I will first try testing the continuity of the fusible links with my multi-meter, then move on to the starter if that doesn't pan out.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:37 PM

Injuneer & Shoebox ride to the rescue!

Looks like "Fusible Link E" is between the battery and the starter maze. Easy to miss, on that drawing. Check that one first. It's not clear to me how that one would have been blown, by what you say happened. Still, with no starter action, I'd look there first.

Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Low Buck Head Gasket Fix