LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lots of head gasket replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Lots of head gasket replacement questions

I've decided to try to replace my head gasket myself, since I can't afford to have a mechanic do it. Since I've never done anything nearly this complicated before, I'm going to have a ton of questions, so I hope you all don't mind.

1) From what I've read on here, I need to buy a new set of head bolts, as the ones currently on there are not reusable, correct? If so, should I buy GM replacements or something else?
2) As far as gaskets are concerned, can I just buy whatever they have at Checker, or are certain brands better than others?
3) I've read Shoebox's cam removal guide, so I generally know how to take everything apart. I'm assuming I don't need to do the disassembly of the front of the engine since I'm not actually removing the cam, right?
4) This may sound stupid, but keep in mind I've never done this before: do I need to remove the valve springs, rocker arms, etc. from the head, or can I just remove the head with everything still assembled?

This is just the beginning, by the way, there should be plenty more once I get started...
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM

1) Yes you need new head bolts. i would get the ARP ones they are only $65.00 from summit.
2) Goto a chevy dealer and get the head gaskets for a 5.7L LT1 Impala. they are alittle thinner and wil give you more compression.
3) Yup, the front end you can leave alone. you will have to take the power steering pump loose to get out the one bolt, but you can leave the lines attached.
4) You can leave the springs and valves alone, but you will remove the rockers and pushrods. Make sure you only loosen the rockers that aren't open to any extent. Shoebox's web site has instructions about that.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

I'm still using my original head bolts....have had the heads off lots of times
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I'm still using my original head bolts....have had the heads off lots of times
Your playing with fire there.....
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdenz3
Your playing with fire there.....
how so....I don't disagree but the heads have been off a minimum of once a year for the past ten years.....sometimes more, never had a problem yet
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM

You could reuse your head bolts but they are stretch bolts so I would not recommend it. I agree get ARP bolts there cheap enough.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
how so....I don't disagree but the heads have been off a minimum of once a year for the past ten years.....sometimes more, never had a problem yet
You don't re-use torque to yield bolts.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You don't re-use torque to yield bolts.
o.k. but what if you do.....thats what i'm wanting to know, you sure they are tq to yield? I don't know.......But I know I have used them and never had a problem, So where does reusing them create a problem?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM

They are designed to stretch when they are torqued, but they are only designed stretch once. They may work time and time again, they may not. Is the price of new ones worth the risk is the question.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:44 PM

As long as you use the same head bolts in the same thread hole, and the same head, you should be fine

And as for the thinner gasket, can't you get a thinner fel-pro gasket that would do just the same but would higher quality?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Fel-pro 1074

I agree with you guys to get the new ARP bolts......I was just curious why everyone says not to reuse the stockers
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3
1) Yes you need new head bolts. i would get the ARP ones they are only $65.00 from summit.
2) Goto a chevy dealer and get the head gaskets for a 5.7L LT1 Impala. they are alittle thinner and wil give you more compression.
3) Yup, the front end you can leave alone. you will have to take the power steering pump loose to get out the one bolt, but you can leave the lines attached.
4) You can leave the springs and valves alone, but you will remove the rockers and pushrods. Make sure you only loosen the rockers that aren't open to any extent. Shoebox's web site has instructions about that.
Cool, thanks for the info. Can't seem to find the exact ARPs I need on either Jegs or Summit, though. I see a few for LS1s, and a few that mention small-block Chevys, but nothing specifically for LT1s.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
those are the ones you want, you'll want to get some ARP thread sealant too. Torque them to 65ft/lbs, in three steps. (45, then 55, then finally 65)
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 PM

I reused my stock head bolts. No problems at all. 162,000 miles
Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM

What's the stock compressed gasket thickness? Do you know? How much will that bump up compression to?

Quick Reply: Lots of head gasket replacement questions