LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

loose pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 PM

loose pushrod

Last week I lost power and parked car. I began my diagnostics and after seeing fuel pressure, spark, checking codes, quick look at live data, I decided to check for broken valve spring or anything under valve cover. Well had a pushrod out and rocker arm sideways. Could a collapsed lifter cause this? Anything else cause this as I am pretty sure I had it set proper and I have comp ultra pro mags and I tighten the poly lock and then snug the nut a little more on all of them so I dont think it would come loose without setting it wrong. If the lifter could have caused this any way to verify? Any advice here would be appreciated as I am fairly ignorant of how the valvetrain works especially in reguards to failures. Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Re: loose pushrod

anything that would allow space between pushrod and rocker arm. I would look for bent pushrod, collapsed lifter, locking nut loosening, etc.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 AM

OP

roll the PR on a piece of glass....is it bent?

assuming you did the valve lash correctly, possible the poly was not tight and came lose

if lash was to tight....it is "possible" you collapsed a lifter
Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 AM

An update on this. Pushrod was not bent. I rolled it on the bed of my joiner after pulling it out and was fine except the end were the rocker got into it. After I pulled the other side valve cover off I found a broken spring retainer. I nearly lost a valve. I found the skimpy build list for the longblock and found the spring pressures were not right for the cam. Currently motore is at machine shop getting setup much better and original heads getting le2 work and new cam on the way. I really would like to write up a post with all my issues and include the guys name who built the longblock as I am not a satisfied customer and learned some things the hard way and in hindsight see much of it is warned about on this forum. Had I done more research about how to have things built rather than what longblocks I could find and afford I would be much more satisfied. Thanks for the confirmation on a possible collapsed lifter and what ive read is many lifter problems are a result of poor valvetrain operation
Old 04-26-2014, 12:53 PM

if your springs were "under" spec for the cam needs...the kind of damage you report will happen. if you hit high rpm valve float....RR could have jumped off the PR. Spring breaking...ouch all kinds of havoc can happen. might want to check that one valve...if it kissed the piston it could be bent....there would be marks on the piston if it did...or worse.

ideally the shop involved now will do a correct job and you/them use the right parts.

...and the valve lash is done correctly
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 PM

All was good. Even the chunks of the retainer didnt get into anything. I did have valve float but thought it was rev limeter until I looked at the tune and ltcc box. I thought I had set the limeter low in the ltcc box until I had things dialed in and what not. If I hadnt decided to change all the pushrods to beef up the valvetrain and check for proper length the retainer would have let go and dropped the valve. I got lucky I guess haha. At least now I know what I have and will have more power. This is the exact reason why you stop when you notice a change in performance and figure out whats wrong. Should be getting it back running in about a month as heads are still a couple weeks from being back in hand and block will likely be done and back next week. Was able to get the compression ratio up and quench much better and things squared up. Will feel much better once tune is dialed in and start putting the spray to it.