LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

legal nitrous??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 PM

legal nitrous??

I live down here in california where everything is illegal, ive heard that they sell nitrous kits though that ARE legal, i beleive it is something called carb legal. or soemthing. anyone know any brands that carry this certificate??
Old 12-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Damn CA must suck when it comes to moding. I thought N20 was legal in all 50 states though...the gases are all the same...

I remember when I had my N20 setup a cop pulled me over and had me open the hatch up. When he saw the bottle he made this pissed off looking face...then he started harassing me about my other mods.

I thought he was about to start giving me a hard time but he started telling me about his racing days...

I wouldn't worry about N20 being ilegal no one will ever know you have it unless you want them to. You can always hide or camafluage (spelling) the lines. Some guys hide thier bottles in the spare tire compartment.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Administrator

No aftermarket parts are allowed in California, unless they have been tested for emisssions, and have a "CARB-EO" number attached to them (or on a seperate certificate). Many other states use the CA list to determine what parts are acceptable.

NOS sells a 5176 dry nitrous kit, and they have a version 5167-EO, which comes with a CARB-EO number sticker, and is street legal (at least for installation) in California. I had one on my 94 Formula about 6 months after I bought the car new in CA.

Here in NJ, where I live now, it is illegal to buy or possess N2O unless you have a permit issued by the State. Nitrous is considered a "controlled dangerous substance" because of drug abuse... not "HP abuse" . I have the permit.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
No aftermarket parts are allowed in California, unless they have been tested for emisssions, and have a "CARB-EO" number attached to them (or on a seperate certificate). Many other states use the CA list to determine what parts are acceptable.

NOS sells a 5176 dry nitrous kit, and they have a version 5167-EO, which comes with a CARB-EO number sticker, and is street legal (at least for installation) in California. I had one on my 94 Formula about 6 months after I bought the car new in CA
Fred is right NOS brand is the only kit that is CARB-EO approved.

Vinny
Old 12-08-2003, 05:14 PM

Get that dry kit with EO number & add a fuel solenoid/lines
Old 12-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

geat a zex kit...the solinoides and all are hidden...you can hide it any where
Old 12-08-2003, 06:04 PM

If you read and search in the N20 section you will find several cars that you wouldnt be able to tell the N2O was there unless you knew it was there, and even then you cants "jsut see it" from anywhere. and the bottle is in hte spare tire place.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:10 PM

hmmm....if i'm not mistaken if n2o is hooked up to your car it is illeagal, as long as the lines are not connected I beleive you are ok....your fight will be to prove it is disconected...cops will lie to shaft the teen...

shaft happend to me, not with n2o, but i had a disposable camera in the car and took pics while the cop was there...it never made it to trail...hehhe
Old 12-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by JohnsSS
hmmm....if i'm not mistaken if n2o is hooked up to your car it is illeagal, as long as the lines are not connected I beleive you are ok....your fight will be to prove it is disconected...cops will lie to shaft the teen...

shaft happend to me, not with n2o, but i had a disposable camera in the car and took pics while the cop was there...it never made it to trail...hehhe
Laws vary from state to state. In NJ there is no provision in the law that I am familiar with that limits the installation of N2O. My State issued permit reads "race vehicle". In CA, if it is CARB-EO certified, there is no way anyone can tell you that it can't be installed on your car. I believe GA passed a specific law to prohibit N2O use.

Might want to research the laws of a few more states before you start making "blanket" statements.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:13 AM

I always thought that nitrous was legal even though all the lines and solenoids were hooked up. You just couldent have the bottle open on the street. Thats what I heard.... Dont Quote me though.

Later,
-JOhn
Old 12-10-2003, 09:20 AM

well damn i thought it was illegal... now its worth looking into

ive seen many people arrested for nitrus here in cali... my brother raced a guy and they both got pulled over and the other guy had nitrus and was arrested (thats what happens corolla vrs civic ) anyhow is this cali legal system allowed to be hooked up and used?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:41 AM

Yeah, I am pretty sure that in most states if you get pulled over and they find nitrous, but the bottle isn't open, then you are fine...

....thats why ther are remote bottle openers
Old 12-10-2003, 10:23 AM

Here in cali it is okay to have nitrous on the car as long as the lines aren't connected. If they are they can fine you. Most of the time they won't care about the carb # they will just check to see if the bottle is hooked up. If it isn't and the cop is a dick then they can still fine you if you don't have the carb# though.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 PM

i would like to know more on this as well, about 2 months ago a friend and i were racing and he got caught i got away, he was arrested on sevral different charges and one of them was carrying a compressed gas, 'N20" and that was here in connecticut where emissions laws and stuff like that are really not that strict, the cop said if the line was unhooked it was ok to have in the car and that he needed a sticker somewhere on the car that says carrying n20... oh well...who the hell cares anyway...im still gonna carry it and use it all the time anyway...i go through a bottle a week in the summer time.....
Old 12-10-2003, 08:31 PM

hmm. maby we could rig up like a quick disconect thing for it

Quick Reply: legal nitrous??