LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Leaking Water Pump....Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:00 PM

Exclamation Leaking Water Pump....Advice??

Today when the car was parked I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the car. It looks like it is coming from the water pump and leaking on the pulley/fanbelt (bottom of engine). It also seems to only start leaking once the car is off and subsides after about 10 minutes. I am taking the car in on Monday to find out for sure what the problem is. If it is the water pump should I replace it with an electric water pump? Are they a direct fit for the GM water pumps? I need some advice here. my car is a 1995 Z28 convertible. THANKS!
Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 10:13 PM

I recently switched out to a CSR elec. pump and it was one of the best things I've ever done. It's unbelievable how much cooler the car runs not to mention the suposed 9hp gain. The elec. pump uses your existing housing, the bearing and impeller will need to be popped out. You will also need to run a power source to the pump, preferably through a relay and fuse.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM

As mentioned above, some assembly is required, it just won't bolt right up. The electric water pump will cost around what a brand new replacement OEM pump would so its your call.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 AM

Lightbulb

Thanks y'all. When I bring it to my mechanic I will ask him if he can change the stock water pump to an electric one. I appreciate the replies.
Mike
Old 11-26-2006, 03:12 PM

Question

Thanx Z28 Roxy. I am still not sure what to do. I don't have time to do the work myself and I am leaving for a road trip with the Z28 next week! I know it would be easier to have my mechanic do the stock water pump. I like the extra 9 HP from the electric though, plus it keeps the car cooler. Is it true that it is optional to remove the water pump shaft if you install an electric pump? I was looking at this site:

http://ken.lowrance.com/Projects/CSI...mp/Default.htm

It looks like all the "extra" work of removing the shaft, grinding, and plugging holes is optional!? Do the electric water pumps come with everything you need to get the job done or are there extra gaskets....etc... that need to be purchased? Thanka and sorry for all the questions.
Mike
Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM

You can leave the shaft,etc in the motor if you switch to the ewp...its alot of work to get it out. I just pulled my opti 3 times within a week and a half, and then a 4th to pull the timing cover and replace the wp gear..
For the amount of time it will take you to take to the mechanic, get a ride home..then get a ride back and pick it up you could change the wp on your own, unless the mechanic is next door
5 minutes to remove intake duct work and unplug sensor connections.
Throw a big catch pan under the car.
5-7 minutes to pull off all hoses and just let the coolant drain into pan.
10 minutes tops to remove the 6 bolts holding the wp on, again letting all coolant just run out into pan while removing.
5 minutes to clean the gasket surfaces
5 mins to bolt new wp on.
5 minutes to bolt on thermostat and coolant temp switch
5 minutes to reconnect hoses
5 minutes to put intake duct back on and plug in sensors.
5 minutes to fill radiator back up
5 minutes drive it and bleed system and top off.

under an hour and hope nothing goes wrong in the process
and not to mention the wad of cash you'll still have in your pocket for that vacation

Also, make sure its not any of the hoses leaking..I had a pin hole in one that only squirted when car was shut off when the most pressure builds up in the coolant system...when the car is running, there's not that much pressure in the system.

Last edited by 2QUIK6; 11-26-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:10 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks 2QUIK6! You make it sound so much easier than the instructions on the above mentioned page! Perhaps I will give it a shot. I am now leaning toward the stock water pump because I use the car on MANY long trips and I've been told the stock one is more reliable than the electric ones. For example, I am going to Louisiana and back in a week and a bit. Then I come back here for another week before I jump in the Z28 again and drive down to Ft. Lauderdale! From Ft. Lauderdale I am heading to Alabama then back here to Canada. I NEED the most reliable product possible!! I also like the idea of switching to the LT4 Extreme Duty timing set.
Mike
Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 AM

When my opti died I figured it would be smart to change the waterpump. It is really not that hard of a job to do. It was my first time doing it and I would say it took me about 2 hours to do. Save the money and do it yourself. Just try not to let that coolant drain on the opti! I also removed the fans and serpentine belt. I guess the fans dont need to come out but it opens up ALOT of room and its really easy to do.

Now the plug wires took me about 2 days to do haha. Most annoying things ever!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Z28Roxy is correct, I forgot about the AIR pump since I have not had one in soo long. Fans do not need to come out..there's just enough room to manuver the pump out by working it over the alt bracket and towards the driver side of the car with in in place. The top passenger side hose fitting will catch the fan shroud but it can be coaxed over it.

It will help if you remove the coil for the extra room, 2 bolts and 3 harness wire connections..just don't forget to connect the 3 ground wires back up to one of the bolts when reinstalling.

Also. when reinstalling the pump, once you have it "in front" of where it goes, but not yet hanging on the studs, install the opti harness and the coil wire to the opti...its a lot easier with the wp pulled out an inch or two from the block rather than trying to fish them down behind the wp once bolted on.

Use a new razor blade on those gasket surfaces to clean them then wipe off with carb cleaner or gas to get all of the oil off...should take no longer than a few minutes with a new blade unless someone used Yellow Permatex on there

On reinstall, I use just a drop of Ultra Black smeared very lightly/thin on just the wide corner of the gasket just to hold it in place until the pump in on.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks for the advice and the pointers. I ended up dropping it off at my mechanic because I don't have a few day between now and next Wednesday when I leave, which kind of sucks. He is only charging me $150 labor so that isn't too bad. I ended up with a new Delco water pump. I am still quite interested in the Extreme Duty LT4 Timing set and the LT4 hotcam and 1.6RR's. Might be a project for the spring! THANKS AGAIN!! Ya'll rock!
Mike