LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Trouble with overheating please help. 95 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Trouble with overheating please help. 95 Camaro Z28

Hi, I have a 1995 Z28 Camaro and I am having some overheating issues the temperature will rise to the 3rd marker on the gauge then drop them rise then drop again then rise until it overheats...I have replaced the
Thermostat
Radiator fans
Battery
Belt
Water pump
Coolant sensor
Air intake sensor
Relays
Fuses
And am still having issues there are no leaks of any kind. Fans do engage. Please can someone give me advice on what to look for. It is overheating while idling as well.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:04 PM

Re: Trouble with overheating please help. 95 Camaro Z28

did you bleed the air from the cooling system?

Unique to the Gen 2 LT1/4 motors
Old 05-27-2018, 01:14 PM

I did not and have been reading up on how that could be the issue I'm going to do that today and will follow up with the outcome. Thank you for the reply
Old 05-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Administrator

When does it overheat in the manner you describe in the first post - on the freeway, sitting in traffic, all the time?

Did you buy a thermostat specifically for the LT1 engine? You can’t use a generic one for a small block Chevy, and that's what the typical parts store drone will try and sell you.

http://shbox.com/1/tstat.jpg

When you installed the water pump, did you check the condition of the water pump drive gear, the splines on the water pump drive shaft, and the coupling for the drive shaft? Did you remember to install the coupling?

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg

Graphics courtesy of Shoebox.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:35 PM

So this is what's going on. The fans where not coming on at all I checked to see if they where getting any power they weren't. So I checked all of the rely fuses (with one of those test lights that reads positive power with the light bulb in it) the one for cooling fan #3 was acting funny (looked like it wasn't all the way connected in place like it had some play so I stuck the test light tester in that terminal that was acting suspicious and turned over the car and Bam the fans turned on. I left the test light in and the car on and It did not once overheat I took it out (test light tool) and it started to heat up. About three fourths of the way up (3rd line on the temperature gauge) I stuck the light tester back in the rely fuses slot (the one acting funny) and the fans kicked on and the temperature dropped back to normal..I'm happy I figured out this much after a few months and replaces many parts but now comes the issue...is it the fuse box or that wire (little slot where the rely goes) that ic causing it to not engage the fans.

Last edited by Z28ImportKiller; 05-27-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:41 AM

the female end in the fuse block can be corrupted by heat. Does the plastic immediately around that female connection appear melted?

Is the male pin on relay burnt?

If fuse block is OK, You could try and bend slightly the pin on relay so it makes a firmer contact with the female slot in fuse block

regardless of the fan relay not triggering the fans on....you need to bleed the cooling system if you have not do so yet
Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 PM

I have tried to bleed the system but it doesn't s3em to work since the fans are not engaging it just seem to over heat. I know that when bleeding the system it's kind of like a cycle fans have to turn on twice or something of the sort. Thank you for the advice on bending the rely fuse that is smart and it is in fact the female part on the fuse box that seems loose but no indication of being melted maybe th3 previous owner was rough with it and knocked it loose. Also I know the fan is supposed to come on when the ac is turned on..if the ac is not charged could that cause it not to engane when turned on?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:52 PM

The thermostat just needs to open to bleed the system. It only takes a few minutes to do this.

IDK if the AC Pressure sensor not seeing a AC charge prevents the secondary fan from coming on

You can unplug the temp sensor on the front of the water pump. Both fans should come on within a minute. If they both work that indicates the fan motors and wiring to them are working

You would need to confirm you bleed the air from the system properly.

You did confirm your T stat opens and it is the correct one for your LT1, right?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 AM

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you might have blown a head gasket here. The fans not coming on when they needed to might have caused the engine to overheat and warped the head(s). Something similar happened to me. The car's temperature gauge would bounce around after it overheated the first time.

I would recommend checking your oil for the chocolate milk of doom and watching for white smoke if you're running your engine. I don't mean to alarm you, but figuring the other stuff out will be frustrating if there's an issue with the head gasket.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z28ImportKiller

....... the temperature will rise to the 3rd marker on the gauge then drop them rise then drop again.....

.....And am still having issues there are no leaks of any kind. Fans do engage.....
Originally Posted by Z28ImportKiller
So this is what's going on. The fans where not coming on at all ......
Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Also, you indicated in the first post the temp was getting to the third mark on the gauge, then dropping down. The third mark on the gauge is 235-degF. That's the temperature the PCM is programmed to switch both fans to high speed. Seems like that actually were working, at least intermittently, based on the description in your first post.