LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 or LE3 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 PM

LE2 or LE3 heads?

I will be running this set up in the short run: LE1 Cam, Ported intake manifold, 58MM, CAI, Headers, EWP, basically, full bolt ons.

But, long term:

Once I am out of college I will be pulling the motor, and building a fully forged 377 (If I can keep stock bore size?) or 383 stroker. This will be forced induction. On at least 10-12 PSI, if not more. With a BRE blower/turbo cam.

Do you think there would be a noticable difference between using a LE2 or LE3 head? I wasnt sure how big of a difference it would make since it is going to be forced induction. I thought having the larger valves of the LE3 heads would help out, but I am not sure how much valve size matters in a forced induction motor?

I guess there is no way you can get a LE2 port job, with LE3 valves either? I dont know, maybe you can. Cause with either of them you have to already do some porting/machining of the heads since LE2 heads also have larger than stock valves.

At any rate, what kind of differences do you think I would see between the two set ups? If it would be a very small difference, I think I will just go with LE2 heads.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Re: LE2 or LE3 heads?

Your best bet is to ask Lloyd himself...he knows the exact differences between LE2 and LE3 ports and would be able to explain it better than anyone else.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:15 PM

I'd also recommend talking to Lloyd, but i'll put my opinion out too. I think with forced induction the difference would be trivial, your blower is going to have a bigger role in what power you make. The LE3 isn't going to hurt you of course, but if your on a budget you could spend the money elsewhere.

The only difference between the LE2 and LE3 is the valves. The ports on the LE3 are 3cc larger, but that is only because of the larger valve seat causing the blending in that area to be slightly different.

Have you put any thought into how you are going to get your compression ratio down for the forced induction setup? You may want to go with trickflows or something with a bigger combustion chamber when that time comes. Another thing to consider is when you go FI your engine builder may recommend a larger exhaust valve and then you'd be doing more headwork anyways.

-Brent
Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 94formulabz
The only difference between the LE2 and LE3 is the valves. The ports on the LE3 are 3cc larger, but that is only because of the larger valve seat causing the blending in that area to be slightly different.

-Brent
The difference is not just the valves, the springs are also upgraded as well as the retainers. Still not huge differences, just wanted to let you know. I also believe that the difference in power between the LE2/LE3 would minimal.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:37 PM

Either heads, I will be running 918's with 10* super locks and retainers, +.05 installed height. So that realy makes no difference to me

I did think about that. I am trying to have as little milling as possible done to the heads. The bigger the CC's the better for the compression. However, Bret seems to think that I shouldnt get too caught up on that as I can always work the compression down with the pistons and such.

I really dont think I am going to go with a aftermarket head. Actually I havent even priced them? I know the Trickflows are supposed to be pretty good, but I figured the difference may barely be noticable in power on those boost levels with the right ported LT1 set up.

Im open to comments and suggestions though as I dont want to do this twice. I am trying to do it right, and do it right the FIRST time around.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
Either heads, I will be running 918's with 10* super locks and retainers, +.05 installed height. So that realy makes no difference to me

I did think about that. I am trying to have as little milling as possible done to the heads. The bigger the CC's the better for the compression. However, Bret seems to think that I shouldnt get too caught up on that as I can always work the compression down with the pistons and such.

I really dont think I am going to go with a aftermarket head. Actually I havent even priced them? I know the Trickflows are supposed to be pretty good, but I figured the difference may barely be noticable in power on those boost levels with the right ported LT1 set up.

Im open to comments and suggestions though as I dont want to do this twice. I am trying to do it right, and do it right the FIRST time around.
In your situation I would listen to Lloyd and Bret. They both want your engine to do it's best, blown or NA.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 89385formula
The difference is not just the valves, the springs are also upgraded as well as the retainers. Still not huge differences, just wanted to let you know. I also believe that the difference in power between the LE2/LE3 would minimal.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I was thinking/talking about the actual port itself.

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
I did think about that. I am trying to have as little milling as possible done to the heads.......
As long as you've thought about it AND even better yet, already spoken with Llyod and Bret about it, then you know your making some minor comprimises reusing parts from a NA setup for a FI setup. As oldSStroker indicated, you're already in contact with the right people. Trust in them, your in good hands.

-Brent
Old 03-27-2006, 01:00 PM

Yea ... I figured there would be a small comprimise. But nothing that would drastically alter the performance. I actually was hoping to come up with a good FI head now, that would possibly comprimise the NA performance of it rather than having a great head for while it is NA and one that comprimises performance once it is a FI motor.

Yea they really seem to know their ****.