LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

last minute header question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:32 PM

last minute header question

ok, this is getting old for me, and i keep posting asking about headers but i want to be 100% sure when i do this.

question 1
Can my local muffler shop (they are a good quality and trusted shop) make a custom y-pipe for hooker longtubes?

question 2
Will the LT's be emmisions legal in CA? If they are run through the cat and everything, will they pass?

question 3
After the initial install of the headers what welding will i have to do? will it be just the welding of the y-pipe?

Im kinda confused at this point with so much information about everything running through my head. I just want a smooth process with little hassle. thanx for any input. Im sure im not the only one with such questions
Old 08-02-2003, 06:43 PM

1. Sure, a decent muffler shop should be able to make you a y-pipe

2. I'm not aware of any long tubes that are legal in Calif.

3. That's all you'd need - to make a y-pipe that connects to your cat, then to the cat-back. Actually, do the hookers have bungs for the O2 sensors? You certainly need them hooked up (I'm pretty sure you have two - before the cat).

Dave
Old 08-03-2003, 12:07 AM

they are definetely not legal in Cali, they don't carry a CARB number which is needed for the California Air Reseach Board. They cannot be legal because they move the cat convertor back, which is against the law, because moving it can affect the way it functions. Even if you pass the emissions part you still need the damn number. Are you going to delete your AIR and EGR, this is a way to flunk also. You need the bunges if you don't already have them installed on the headers. Also make sure no wires are touching the headers or to close. I ended up moving my ABS ones farther away, by attaching them with plastic ties against the metal. I took them out of the holder they were in. Also make sure your brake lines on the driver side are not touching the headers, you can pound back the plate that covers them so they don't touch, without hurting the lines. Also I moved the starter wires out of the way because they were to close for comfort in the stock location, you can either extend them or route them through the motor mount. The O2's will need wire extenders to reach the O2 bunges, you can buy them or make them. I ran over the cover wire looms, for the sparkplug wires, this was the best route so they wouldn't burn, others don't and have to replace them soon after. THey are too expensive to to take chances. A shop can easily do the Y pipe many choose aftermarket ones so the pipes are mandrel bent and will not be restrictive in any way, but they are pricy and delete the cat. THis might be your biggest problem, I wanted to go with a catback with cat, but it didn't look like there was too much room to do it this way, since the headers come back so far. I thought I saw a pick of it done, so there must be a way. Some shops will still pass you in Cali as long as you have cats and pass, you'll just have to find one, maybe get involved with a local car club, they probably know where the connections are at. I am moving there and am not giving up mine, and others do have them out there so don't fret just yet. No other exhaust welding should be required, unless you are having a catback put on at hte same time. Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 08-03-2003, 02:10 AM

You won,t be able to run LTs in Cali, the LTs move the position of the cats which fails you automatically.