LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just wondering??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Just wondering??

Does anybody know where I can get a set of lt4 heads for my lt1? Also a high rise intake manifold for a lt4. I was told they will bolt right on the lt1 and with a hot cam it will make tons of horsepower. Does this sound right? For a reasonable price,
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Just wondering??

GM no longer makes them. You have to look for a set of used heads and the intake manifold. They will bolt directly on, but as-cast, they offer only a small advantage over the LT1 heads. The stock LT1 heads can be ported to produce up to 500HP at the flywheel. How much HP are you looking for? The as-cast LT4 heads/intake, plus the LT4 HOT cam will not make "tons of HP". You might get to 400HP at the flywheel with a lot of supporting changes like larger throttle body, larger injectors, long tube headers and a good tune.

If its just the appearance of the red intake, you can buy an Edelbrock LT4 intake, but its just a so-so piece.

This post would make more sense in the "LT1 Based Engine Tech" forum, if you are more interested in HP than "Appearance".
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM

My goal for the car is about 450 horses at the wheels. Thanks for the help I am brand new to the site so I am still tryin to figure the site out. I was also told that with the lt1 engine it seems that mid tube headers get better performance than the long tube and ideas on this one.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 PM

I don't know who is giving you your info but I wouldn't listen to them anymore. I have mids and like them but it all depends on your mods. Mids make better power than stock manifolds but if you are gonna be a heavy breather you should do longtubes. If you were gonna do an LT4 you should save up another grand and do a LE or AI heads and cam.. That will get you your desired HP.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaboy
My goal for the car is about 450 horses at the wheels. Thanks for the help I am brand new to the site so I am still tryin to figure the site out. I was also told that with the lt1 engine it seems that mid tube headers get better performance than the long tube and ideas on this one.
I suggest searching the the LT1 Tech section... There is alot of intel for what you are trying to achieve... Thats what I did when joining the site...

A question is never dumb, but probably been asked a few dozen times..

I see your at Fort Campbell, 11B ???
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Since this doesn't really seem to belong in "Appearance", let's move it where it belongs.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Anything with the words "LT4" on it at this point is just a novelty.

Stock LT1 heads in the hands of a proper porter are capable of far more than 500fwhp with a matched camshaft, tuning, and all of the necessary bolt-ons.

If you want 450HP to the wheels, do what I did. Go here, and nowhere else: www.advancedinduction.com

Mid-tubes are great for emissions and mild HP gains, but long tubes make the most overall power.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the ideas like I said I am not a great mechanic thats why I joined the site so I would appreciate it if you do want to post a good opinion not a smart mouth one just dont post one at all. thanks. But for the guys really trying to help I really do thank you guys for it like I said Im new and tryin to figure it out.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

I'll take minor exception to the "long tubes make the most overall power" statement... . I have dyno results from the previous owner of my modified AS&M's that show the AS&M's made equal or more power above 5,000RPM than Hooker LT's, until he got over 800HP. At that level, the Hookers had a 10 HP/10 lb-ft advantage. He installed the Hookers and took it to 1,125HP. I picked up his AS&M's dirt cheap.

The LT's do good things for low RPM torque, and are great for street setups. I don't think you can go wrong with either, recognizing that each specific brand will be different from another brand.