LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just bought a '93 Z28 - Need help with this POS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Re: Just bought a '93 Z28 - Need help with this POS

Those are good things to check, you might want to also check the O2 sensors as suggested by numerous people.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Is there a way to check em without replacing them? I've also heard that the cat may be bad or plugged, and could be leading the the backfiring. Would it be worth it to pull it and check it? If it is clogged should I just gut it since I can't afford a new one?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:22 PM

by backfiring do you mean the poping upon deceloration? because that is normal in our cars especialy with a cat back.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
The fuel gauges on our cars are wildly optimistic. My car goes like 200 miles (in town) on a tank and it will read 3/4 tank when there is actually about a 1/2 tank. In town my car will go from an indicated 1/2 tank to empty in a little over 50 miles.
That is my car to a T...except I can go about 230-240 if I stretch it on a tank. Yep, 50 miles from half a tank to walking.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by nonojoe66
by backfiring do you mean the poping upon deceloration? because that is normal in our cars especialy with a cat back.
Yeah I don't think it does it much during acceleration, maybe a little?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 PM

Well guys a buddy and mine made a HUGE discovery today. He wanted to pull a plug just to see what it looked like and if they really had been changed like the previous owner said. He chose the #6 plug. My girl was up here visiting so I didn't really wanna mess with the car so after he tried for a few mins to pull the plug I told him to forget it for now. As he was putting on the wire he noticed there was a HUGE chunk of insulator missing which exposed the core, no doubt it was jumping. It looked like it was caused by laying on the exhaust. Since we didn't have much time we just replaced the #6 wire and it helped ALOT. The wires are DEFINATELY not new, and are in terrible shape. Next weekend we're going to replace the plugs and wires, hopefully that resolves the miss.

Another problem we discovered today is I'm having cooling problems. The car was running pretty hot and I smelled a sweet burnt smell. Popped the hood and noticed the upper radiator hose was leaking onto the opti. I noticed the radiator fan(s?) aren't coming on, so I don't know if it's a sensor or maybe it's just not getting hot enough. Is there some type of manual fan switch mod or something? While we're working on the car next weekend I'm gonna pick up a 160 thermostat, inspect the upper radiator hose, and have the coolant system flushed.

If these resolve the cars mechanical problems I'll be one very happy camper, and signs are looking promising that I may be in luck!

I'm VERY happy right now.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:43 PM

Yes there is a manual switch mod, a search will probably tell you everything you need to know.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:59 PM

Awesome.

Well now I'm not so happy. Went and tried to start it just now and it won't start. I'm almost positive it's due to coolant dripping on the opti. Maybe it'll dry out? It's not vented though. I'm gonna check for spark tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by joey93turbo
Well guys a buddy and mine made a HUGE discovery today. He wanted to pull a plug just to see what it looked like and if they really had been changed like the previous owner said. He chose the #6 plug. My girl was up here visiting so I didn't really wanna mess with the car so after he tried for a few mins to pull the plug I told him to forget it for now. As he was putting on the wire he noticed there was a HUGE chunk of insulator missing which exposed the core, no doubt it was jumping. It looked like it was caused by laying on the exhaust. Since we didn't have much time we just replaced the #6 wire and it helped ALOT. The wires are DEFINATELY not new, and are in terrible shape. Next weekend we're going to replace the plugs and wires, hopefully that resolves the miss.

Another problem we discovered today is I'm having cooling problems. The car was running pretty hot and I smelled a sweet burnt smell. Popped the hood and noticed the upper radiator hose was leaking onto the opti. I noticed the radiator fan(s?) aren't coming on, so I don't know if it's a sensor or maybe it's just not getting hot enough. Is there some type of manual fan switch mod or something? While we're working on the car next weekend I'm gonna pick up a 160 thermostat, inspect the upper radiator hose, and have the coolant system flushed.

If these resolve the cars mechanical problems I'll be one very happy camper, and signs are looking promising that I may be in luck!

I'm VERY happy right now.
I have a new SLP fan control switch for sale, part number 63011. I purchased it for my 95 Z28 (For Sale) but never installed it. Email me if you are interested. Tim tim@cwo.com