LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Jet Hot vs FLP headers.. all thrown off now!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:13 PM

Jet Hot vs FLP headers.. all thrown off now!

Ok... For the past little while I've been saving up my money to buy FLP long tube headers from thunderracing.com and now that I almost have enough, I decided to do a check list and asked if there are any other companies that offered a better deal. Well someone convinced me to look into Jet Hot and their headers seem really nice. But I'm just a little confused.

The FLP package from Thunder Racing I know comes with everything I need.. coated headers, Y-pipe, cats/off road, all the hardware and AIR EGR hookup (so I'm told anyways) all that for 1300 + tax + S&H... well the Jet Hot headers are said to be about 500 to your door correct? Well what does that come with? Just the headers? Headers and hardware? I can't imagine it comes with everything that the FLP package does. So what would I need? A Y-pipe and cats?

All in total the Jet Hot headers must come close to being the same price as the FLP right? I'm really confused as to what to do now. The FLP package seems really really expensive but it comes with everything I need right there vs other prices being JUST the headers. I think that the FLP would be worth the convenience alone. Someone please clear this up for me! Thanks

Trevor
Old 10-09-2003, 09:37 PM

I don't have Jet hots but this is what i have heard from being on the board. The jet hots you just get the headers. You will need to have a y-pipe made which at most should cost about 200 and then you might need 2 new cats because i think your old ones will be too small. I think i heard cats go for about 75-100 bucks for one. So i would say a set for the extra stuff you need to get the jet hots to work would be about 400. So what ever jet hots cost plus 400 should be close to what they will cost. I remember wanting FLP's when i first got my Z but i have heard to many complaints about them to justify the price they cost. I have heard horrible plug access, burnt wires, cheap coating that comes off quickly and i thought i have even read a few times they need cutting/welding modifications to make them work. In my opinion a set of headers that price should be flawless.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:09 PM

Check out this thread for Jet-Hot headers.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=178378

Just contact chris@jet-hot.com and tell him what you want and ask him some questions. They have coated headers and a coated hooker y-pipe. It looks like a much better deal to me.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:38 PM

(Jet-Hot) Long Tubes - $514 shipped
(LS1Speed) Hooker Y-Pipe - $170
(LS1Speed) Collector Gaskets Pair - $8
(LS1Speed) Stage 8 Head Bolts - $30
(LS1Speed) Header Gaskets - $20
(LS1Speed) O2 Extenders - $36
Total - $778 + Shipping (fixed, thanks )

Last edited by Spinner; 10-10-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:54 PM
On permanent vacation

but... FLP's dont hurt ground clearance. So if your car is lowered, you are in a bind
Old 10-10-2003, 01:36 PM

I thought the FLPs did reduce ground clearance like all the other long tubes. Can anyone confirm or deny this for sure?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:19 PM

They do reduce ground clearance and have the worst plug access ever. My good friend has them on his 94 and has burned his number 5 wire at least 4 times, and he does scrape the headers from time to time, but mostly the clamps connecting the headers to the offroad pipes. He is considering selling them to get the Jet-Hot's.
Brandon
Old 10-10-2003, 05:21 PM

flp headers

i have burnt 1 plug wire the i fixed the problam instead of just putting wires back on and burning them again

you will need accell fire boots and you wont have any plug wire problems

plugs are a pita but they can be done!!!!

ground clearence seems to be ok i have yet to scrape the headers. and they didnt seen much if any lower than stock piping.

and last but not least poly tranny and possibly engine mounts are highly reccomended unless you are good at ignoring banging noises.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:49 PM

I have yet to burn any plug wires (ovc) from my FLPs. Plug access isn't nearly as bad as some of you guys are touting. Get the right tools and plugs aren't much of a problem at all. About the only plugs that are somewhat difficult to reach is #5 & #6 <--if that is what you consider horrible plug access, I think you will have problems with any set of headers.

FLPs are not worth the $1300, but if you can get them at a GP rate, they are worth the money. I tend to hear about alot of fitment issues more so with the Jet-Hots than FLPs. Also, jet-hot coating is not anything great - just ask jeffstar and many others that have had it.

Last edited by Alex 97Z28 M6; 10-10-2003 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
(Jet-Hot) Long Tubes - $514 shipped
(LS1Speed) Hooker Y-Pipe - $170
(LS1Speed) Collector Gaskets Pair - $8
(LS1Speed) Stage 8 Head Bolts - $30
(LS1Speed) Header Gaskets - $20
(LS1Speed) O2 Extenders - $36
Total - $878 + Shipping
My math makes that $778. Of course, then add an extra $100 for over the valve cover wires.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 PM
On permanent vacation

i had dynatechs which are the same thing without the extra cats and such and no welded collectors.

They were not lower than the actual car themselves- myabe 1/4 inch at most-

Plug access is ok- takes about an hour to do plugs.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 PM

I just purchased the Jet-Hot headers and y-pipe for my 97 LT1 SS, and am very pleased so far. I paid $529 w/ship for the headers, and $212 w/ship for the y-pipe. My y-pipe from factory has the convertors in it, so I am doing away with them. I live in a area where we do not do any emission testing, and can get away with it. I have not installed them yet, should do in the next month, but I am happy with the quality of the Jet-Hot's for the price. They are coated outside, and inside, and look great. Hope it helps, Jamie.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:58 AM

hmmm.. well I must say Jet-Hot seems to be the better deal so far.

Clearance is no issue for me. My car is not lowered and I don't plan on ever lowerering it either. I like it's hight.

Now about emissions. Jet-Hot long tubes WILL pass? With the cats on I mean. Thanks

Trevor
Old 10-11-2003, 03:14 PM

I have FLP's. I've had to modify their y-pipe so much that it's a custom y-pipe now. PIC Their y-pipe never fit right anyway. And the driver's cat banged the floor till I got poly motor mounts (which are awesome). The coating's flaking off too.

If ground clearance isn't an issue, I'd recommend Hookers and a custom y-pipe. I sent my y-pipe to jet hot and they had it back in 3 days. It's worth it.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:34 PM

Check out my install pics for the Jet Hots. I spent well under $1000 for headers.

Jet Hot Install

-B

Quick Reply: Jet Hot vs FLP headers.. all thrown off now!