LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Interesting RPM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 AM

Interesting RPM Problem

Ok I have a very odd problem happening in my car now. Everytime I back up, no matter how slow or fast I get the low traction light coming on and my ABS light lights up and stays on. Also, when I was driving down the autobahn I noticed my rpm guage drop to 2g from 4g when I had it floored. Now I can make my RPM's drop off everytime I yank my wheel to the left and it bounced right back. Only to the left and only when the ar is rolling. Im pretty stumped as to what could be causing this and has anyone else ever heard of a problem like this?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:51 AM

Re: Interesting RPM Problem

after reading that i think i am just as confused as you are.......

the low trac light/ module is very sensative. I know when i put mine in reverse it comes on when the tranny shifts to it, and the same when i go back to drive.

However have rpm's drop when you floor the car. Hmmm, do you have anymore info that you could give us??? Im not that knowledable about opti-sparks as mine has never gone out (knock on wood), but i would think you should first start by checking the ignition system.......i think a bad coil or opti could make the rpms break up, but lower i dunno.

wow, after reading that i guess i was no help. Haha, Gl man
Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 AM

LOL it's ok... The opti and coil are both brand new since the engine was rebuilt a while back. It mainly only drops the RPM's for a second when you jerk the wheel to the left. It hardly does it anymore when I floor it. Going left it drops em again. I wish I could take some video of it to show you guys but my stupid camera wont upload em to my comp. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. But anyways, It kinda seems like there is a loose wire or something in my colum cause it's when I turn it left and sharp. It's pissing me off.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:13 AM

is it only when you turn very sharp???? u do this driving everyday?? Autoxing i could see, but just driving around...

could be from the drag of the power steering pump kicking on, HOWEVER that would never cause a lag that large or even one that the stock tach would read, haha

im stumped
Old 02-07-2006, 02:49 PM

You might try cleaning the ground post located on the passenger side inner fender, next to the positive post (red plastic box). This ground is famous for getting dirty and some of the dash connections go through this ground. Remove the stud from the fender and sand off the paint under the stud.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 AM

OBE1 I think you might be right. I did have a problem a few weeks back where my car didn't get any power and when I played with the ground on the battery it got power again. I'll try checking the ground cause it seems like it would be from that. And for the turning sharp, I said jerking the wheel not a sharp turn. Just jerk it like you're swerving but don't turn ya know.