LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

installed a/f ratio gauge and now im stummped

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 09:49 AM

installed a/f ratio gauge and now im stummped

i stalled it last night and all i get is the last bar lit up on the rich side. did i hook it up wrong? i also have a ses light on does the ses light mean that my o2's are probably bad? any idea's will be much appreciated.
Thanks Jason
Old 02-13-2004, 09:52 AM

How did you install the guage?

When just the last rich bar is lit, it means the guage is getting power, but no signal. What it seems is if you spliced into the O2 signal wire, you may have damaged the wire and the PCM no longer recieves signal from it.

I hooked mine up this way and it worked, but the guage really doesnt do much unless you have a wideband setup
Old 02-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Yep what Paul said. If you SES came one after the install, you lost connection to the PCM. I'm installing mine tonight, hopefully I have better luck!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:59 AM

well i didnt splice into the the wire i used one of those connectors that you put the wire through and then the wire you want tapped in there then you push down the metal tab in the center and it connects the two wire together any other help appreciated
Thanks Jason
Old 02-13-2004, 10:18 AM

Well those can still cut the wire if your not extreamly carefull. I used those on a A/F gauge install I did on a friends car and it didnt work the first time, i had to redo it.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by importeater
Well those can still cut the wire if your not extreamly carefull. I used those on a A/F gauge install I did on a friends car and it didnt work the first time, i had to redo it.
Thats very true about those type of connectors, you have to be carefull when crimping down on them

BTW Craig, nice job on Nicks A/F Switch Setup. I would love to do somthing like that on mine
Old 02-13-2004, 11:22 AM

so should i cut the o2 wire then twist the o2 wire and the a/f gauge wire together and then but connect it to the other end of the o2 sensor?
Thanks Jason
Old 02-13-2004, 11:39 AM

Id remove the connector you used to connect them, unplug that branch of the harness from the PCM, twist them together and then solder them. Use some shink tubing or E-tape to cover it up and your good as new. Just make sure the wires arn't too tight, you may need to add a short piece so there isnt tention on it, I forget how much slack is there.

Craig
Old 02-13-2004, 11:44 AM

just go buy a soldering iron!! I dunno, I NEVER use any type of t-taps and stay away from crimp-on connectors often too. Soldering is extremely easy and will NEVER come off.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:51 AM

I agree with the above. I would solder instead of twisting them together. It might be a chore, because there isn't much room or much slack in the wire.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:56 AM

Never mind with what I said above. Go to the parts store and ask them for the connectors with the solder already in them. All you'll have to do is cut the wire to the PCM, then stick all 3 wires in there and heat up the connector with a lighter. The solder in there will get hot enough and melt around the wires and the connector also shrinks with the heat. This is going to be the easiest. I've used them in my car and they are the absolute best.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:47 PM

could my o2's be completly shot or what because before i installed the a/f ratio gauge i already had a ses light on so could the o2's be gone? the performance of the car is not gone at all with the ses light on so what do you guys think?
Thanks Jason
Old 02-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Put a scanner on it and figure out what the SES light is for, rather than taking wild guesses and randomly replacing parts..... that's what we all condemn the typical dealer shop for doing. You should have scanned it and got rid of the SES light before you even started the A/F gauge install.

The last/rich bar being lighted may also mean its getting more that 1.0V from the wiring.... you did hook it to the purple (or purple/white) wire in the harness?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:02 PM

yeah but is it supposed to go on the wire from the o2 or the wire before the connector and yes it is on the connector im just stummped?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:08 PM

There is a harness that runs behind your engine under the hood. It'll have the black plastic harness wrap around it and might be taped up. Pull the tape off and find the Purple and white wire. Thats the wire from the drivers side O2 to the PCM. If you found the solid purple wire in a different harness, it is the passengers side wire from the O2 to the PCM. I used the Purple/White, because it was easier to get to and tap into since the gauge was going on the drivers side anyway.

Quick Reply: installed a/f ratio gauge and now im stummped