LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Injector install how-to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 PM

Injector install how-to?

Does anyone have any fuel injector install steps for an lt1? I've never done any mechanical work, i know alot of theory ...but i cant imagine it being too hard to do. Since I have more time on weekends now, I want to start being able to tackle some of my own tasks and learning my car. I'm going to be uprgading my heads most likely to le1, and its recommended i go with 30 lb injectors. so i want to do that before the heads.

im also going to fix that stupid headlight gear as soon as the weather warms up. that probably the most annoying noise ive ever heard coming from a car.

thanks.

ps..i see that svo 30# fuel injectors are like 300 bucks..any places they are cheaper?

Last edited by vin1382; 03-16-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:21 PM

Re: Injector install how-to?

Changing the injectors is easy compared to many other things on these cars. Keep in mind, you can't just change the injectors and leave everything else. You will need to have the computer tuned to work with the bigger injectors- otherwise the car will run way rich.

First thing to do is go to an autoparts store and ask for a GM fuel line disconnect tool. This tool has two different size openings on it that slide over two different sizes of line. On the back of your fuel rail on the drivers side, you will see where two plastic fuel lines attach to a metal fuel tube that goes to the fuel rail. Once you have this disconnect tool, match the size up, put the tool over the metal fuel tube and slide the tool towards the plastic fuel line. You will have to use a little muscle and push it into place, but then you can grab the plastic fuel line and pull it away from the fuel rail. Do this for both fuel lines. You'll also want to have some rags or paper towels in place under the connections because excess fuel will come out.

Next, there is a vacuum line on the passenger side that goes from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect it from the regulator.

Next there are four 8mm bolts that hold the fuel rail to the top of the intake manifold. Remove these.

Now you are ready to remove the harness clips from the injectors. Locate the small piece of bent metal wire that is on the harness. To remove, push this metal clip in, and pull the connector off.

At this point you can go ahead and lift straight up on the fuel rail. Sometimes it's a little difficult, you can get a screwdriver and gently pry up on the fuel rails to get it moving if you need to.

Now set the fuel rails upside down on a workbench. You'll see that each injector has a "C" clip on it that holds it in place. Slide the C clip off to the side, and pull the injector out.

Installation is the exact reverse of removal. Keep in mind that each injector has a rubber "O" ring on each side of it, one side goes into the fuel rail, one side goes into the intake manifold. I like to put a little coating of grease on the O rings to help them go in better and not tear up. It also helps if you have an extra set of hands to line up the fuel injectors when putting the fuel rail back in place.

Check www.racetronix.com for injectors before you spend $300 on the other ones.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM

You don't need the fuel line disconnect tool to do injectors.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 PM

It's true, you don't really need it as you could just lay the fuel rail off to the side. I'm one of those guys who likes to be able to spread my work out, and buy new tools
Old 03-16-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee
It's true, you don't really need it as you could just lay the fuel rail off to the side. I'm one of those guys who likes to be able to spread my work out, and buy new tools
Oh i have a fuel rail removal tool as well, but this guy said he doesn't know how to do any mechanical work.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee
Changing the injectors is easy compared to many other things on these cars. Keep in mind, you can't just change the injectors and leave everything else. You will need to have the computer tuned to work with the bigger injectors- otherwise the car will run way rich.

First thing to do is go to an autoparts store and ask for a GM fuel line disconnect tool. This tool has two different size openings on it that slide over two different sizes of line. On the back of your fuel rail on the drivers side, you will see where two plastic fuel lines attach to a metal fuel tube that goes to the fuel rail. Once you have this disconnect tool, match the size up, put the tool over the metal fuel tube and slide the tool towards the plastic fuel line. You will have to use a little muscle and push it into place, but then you can grab the plastic fuel line and pull it away from the fuel rail. Do this for both fuel lines. You'll also want to have some rags or paper towels in place under the connections because excess fuel will come out.

Next, there is a vacuum line on the passenger side that goes from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect it from the regulator.

Next there are four 8mm bolts that hold the fuel rail to the top of the intake manifold. Remove these.

Now you are ready to remove the harness clips from the injectors. Locate the small piece of bent metal wire that is on the harness. To remove, push this metal clip in, and pull the connector off.

At this point you can go ahead and lift straight up on the fuel rail. Sometimes it's a little difficult, you can get a screwdriver and gently pry up on the fuel rails to get it moving if you need to.

Now set the fuel rails upside down on a workbench. You'll see that each injector has a "C" clip on it that holds it in place. Slide the C clip off to the side, and pull the injector out.

Installation is the exact reverse of removal. Keep in mind that each injector has a rubber "O" ring on each side of it, one side goes into the fuel rail, one side goes into the intake manifold. I like to put a little coating of grease on the O rings to help them go in better and not tear up. It also helps if you have an extra set of hands to line up the fuel injectors when putting the fuel rail back in place.

Check www.racetronix.com for injectors before you spend $300 on the other ones.
very nice..thanks for the write up! ill print it out and hopefully be able to identify all the things described when i actually get into it.

I take it that the 32 lb delphi injectors will be the ones im interested in? looks about 60 bucks cheaper then all the other ones ive seen online.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:36 PM

It's a good idea to blow the dirt off the intake maifold before removing the fuel rail. The injectors fit into holes on the intake manifold that can collect dirt/sand over time. You don't want that stuff falling into the manifold when you remove the fuel rail. The fuel rail may be pressurized with gas and certainly will contain gas when you start removing injectors. You can relieve the pressure in the rail via the Schrader valve (like a tire valve) on the fuel rail. Have some rags handy.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM

What a great thread!!! Thanks guys ---