LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Infected coolant. Some advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 02:21 PM

Infected coolant. Some advice please.

Hey,
When I bought my z, i knew just about nothing about cars...I was just thinking "fine car, v8 engine? SOLD". Well, I learned a few things here and there and decided it was prolly time for some new coolant...she was running a little hot in traffic (just shy of redline). The stuff that came out when we pulled the drain plug was almost straight black goo and the smell pealed the pain off the walls. My friend who was helping me (manager at a local gas/service station) said it would be fine if we just flushed it with water till it ran clean. So we did. Well, come to find out that wasn't quite enough. 1 year later, it's dark colored again (not black tho...but still stinky as hell).
This weekend, I want to drain, and COMPLETELY flush the infection out. How do I go about this? I want to make sure I get all the **** out of there.

EDIT: Also wondering if I can do it on ramps? because the car won't be level, will all the stuff drain out?

Thx,
-mj
Old 10-01-2003, 02:27 PM

if it is gooey i would take the radiator in to have it acid cleaned professionally and change hoses as far as block i would shock the hell out of it with some flush but before i take the radiator in.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:46 PM

MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COOL!!!! take your hose and put it to a slow drain and then stuff it in the radiator, then proceed to run the car with the heater on and the drain **** off and take the drivers side coolant sensor off with a rubber hose attached to the hole firmly, do that for about 5 minutes, then let that drain and put the heavy duty rad flush in their and follow the instructions on the rad flush
Old 10-01-2003, 03:18 PM

thanks for the feedback. Predator - it's not gooey anymore...coolant had prolly been sitting there for a while before I decided to change it.

grygst - drain the sucker first right? Also, I don't quite follow what you're saying with the coolant sensor and taking it out with a rubber hose attrached to the hole firmly?

Thanks for the tips. So no need to pull out the theremo? or pull a hose in the middle somewhere to get to different parts of the cooling system?

Thx again folks.
--mj
Old 10-01-2003, 03:47 PM

I had a similar problem... i can tell u 1 flush isnt enough, mine got flushed (not as bad as urs) and it still had crap (lil stuff floating) maybe cuz the prev owner put the green coolant or something, but its still running hot
Old 10-01-2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by MJ_Z28
thanks for the feedback. Predator - it's not gooey anymore...coolant had prolly been sitting there for a while before I decided to change it.

grygst - drain the sucker first right? Also, I don't quite follow what you're saying with the coolant sensor and taking it out with a rubber hose attrached to the hole firmly?

Thanks for the tips. So no need to pull out the theremo? or pull a hose in the middle somewhere to get to different parts of the cooling system?

Thx again folks.
--mj
sorry I didn't clarify take out the thermo sensor on the drivers head and stuff a rubber hose in there so you don't spill coolant and water all over the spark plugs and stuff the water hose in the rad on top and make sure the draincock is off the bottom of the radiator and put the water on just enough to match the draining of the water.