LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I'm so sick of my car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:56 PM

I'm so sick of my car...

before header install ran fine after header install. it runs like crap stutters when at a stop sign not as fast top end man it just makes me mad i spent all this money on doing this and it runs worse i just might give up on this car but god i love it when she runs good i dunno maybe i just need some words of encouragement
Old 07-18-2003, 12:02 AM

Have you checked for plug wires on backwards?

Anyhoo, I was singing the same song as you when my car was all tore apart due to a blown headgasket. Then I felt like I couldn't get it back together because of so many setbacks. That's a bad feeling too. Then I got her back together, and although faster, all the streetability was gone. I had to keep my foot on the gas at idle of the car would die, it would buck and stutter at low RPM etc. Sometimes you just have to hang with it. At least your car is still running!

Maybe you should fine a local Fbody guy that is willing to have a look at your car. Maybe someone that has done a lot of stuff to theirs. First off though, start the car up at night in a dark area, let it idle and look under the hood for flashes of light(arcing).

John
Old 07-18-2003, 12:10 AM

Also look up under the car for arcing near the opti. That's how I found out what was wrong with mine. O2 sensors possibly?
Old 07-18-2003, 05:31 AM

It has to be something you had to disconnect to get the headers on. Either wires or vacuum lines or something else. Take a look at this and see if it helps. http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/opti.jpg
Also check each wire for a burned spot one at a time. I'd bet a wire is the problem.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:50 AM

Quickest thing to check for is that the wires are plugged into the appropriate spot on the Opti. Are your wires still in the stock location? IF so, they are probably burnt to hell. Route them over-the-valve covers and they will last. Did you change the plugs when you swapped the headers? IF not, replace them. You might have a damaged or fouled plug. Do you have good connections to the plugs and to the opti terminals? At night, with the headlights off, open the hood and check for "fireworks" If you see lights, then your plug wires are arcing. Also, did you reprogram your PCM. This needs to be done in order to get the EGR and AIR codes out of the PCM. Did you plug up the EGR on the backside of the intake manifold?

If you check out everything up top, and the problem still persists, might be the opti. But I am willing to bet it is something that has to do with the wires/ plugs. IT could also be fouled out O2 sensors. If you live in Texas and need help, I will hook up with you andlend you a hand. keep me informed
Old 07-18-2003, 09:48 AM

Right now i have my wires in the stock locations but tomorrow im puttin my taylor ovc on. Is it possible to ruin the wires without it burning through them b/c if so i didnt know that?? Second its not the 02's b/c i replaced them and they're fine. Also my jet hot lts came with all emissions including egr and air so i just hooked them up but now it seems like my passenger side air relocator valve has a tick to it prolly will replace that today. In the next month i plan to take all my emissions stuff out and have my pcm programmed from pcmforless.com over the net