LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I'm buying a Dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 12:37 PM

I'm buying a Dyno!

LOL, well I'm doing the research to maybe buy one.
What is your experience with different dyno's and which do you think is the best?
I'm looking into maybe getting the dynojet unit, but everything is still up in the air. We do not have a dyno place here on the island and it is always good to be the first!
The board can be sure that I will document EVERY mod I make with before and after dyno runs after I get a dyno!
Please tell me your experience and how much you paid for a run.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:40 PM

That would be awesome
Old 12-18-2003, 12:42 PM

My first trip to the dyno cost me $75 for three pulls, but he gave me 6.

My 2nd trip was on a club dyno day and it was $35 for three pulls.

If you purchase your own dyno, I'd recommend a dynojet, and do it in-ground if at all possible! You don't want yourself or anyone else to fall off of it.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:52 PM

Smile

I had the same thought as you. There wasn't one anywhere near here and I started looking into it too. The only problem for me is that you NEED to have a performance shop as well as a dyno. You need to be able to dyno the cars and then sell/install what they need to make more power so they will dyno again! If you have a dyno only, you will most-likely go out of business after most people try it once. Maybe you are a mechanic, so that would be perfect, but I am not.

I was looking into this a couple months ago and just last week I found out someone opened a dyno only 45 minutes away! There goes that idea!

Hope this helps!

Jeremy
Old 12-18-2003, 01:29 PM

Man, those things are farking expensive. The guy who I use got his used for something like 20G's. Some inordinate amount of money.

He only charges $50 for 3 pulls with wide band though!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:01 PM

60 bucks for 3 pulls here.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:45 PM

I saw a new dyno concept a month or so ago.

You jack up the car and remove the drive wheels. Then two "dyno cells" are slid into place (mounted on casters) and bolted to the drive wheel flanges. These "cells" are about 3 feet cubed.

The car is then lowered back down and the dyno run is done.
They are relatively compact and supposedly more accurate than a roller setup. Much quieter too.

I don't know about the cost, but the concept is interesting.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:32 PM

crazy idea,but hey if that whats gonna float your boat go ahead...I think having a performance shop around it would be much more profitable
Old 12-18-2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Tommy'Z 6speed

You jack up the car and remove the drive wheels. Then two "dyno cells" are slid into place (mounted on casters) and bolted to the drive wheel flanges. These "cells" are about 3 feet cubed.

They are relatively compact and supposedly more accurate than a roller setup. Much quieter too.

That sounds "farking" ridiculous! They must create some kind of back pressure or you will have problems. I'd have to see it to believe it, but even then, sounds fishy.... Imagine jacking up your car and then putting it in gear and going at it. Won't be long till something goes flying off.....
Old 12-18-2003, 03:54 PM

I have seen this too! I saw someone on tv using them...some speed channel show. They looked to be very easy to use and compact
Old 12-18-2003, 04:01 PM
red

I looked at these at the PRI show last month. They get around $40K for each unit

Your better off going with a floor mounted Dynojet and save money.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:36 PM

$20,000 is really low, must have been used. I was doing a business plan for opening a full service perf shop a while back....a fully optioned Dynojet with above ground lift kit and Wide band 02 logging was over $40,000 US.

In-ground will save you $8,000 but you have to construct a pit to install it in, so either way there is additional work or money involved.

Good luck!

P.S. I would recommend looking into Superflo brand dynos...They have a model that does both eddy current and inertia style testing (Combines best features of Mustang and Dynojet brands) and is very comparable in terms of output to the Dynojet. The eddy current capability can really make you some money, because the dyno can put a real-life road load on the car, can be very good for diagnostic work and tuning.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:16 PM

$100,000 for that one its made in sweden.
but imho the land and sea is the best thats what we are buying check them out
Old 12-18-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by red
I looked at these at the PRI show last month. They get around $40K for each unit

Your better off going with a floor mounted Dynojet and save money.
you were there to what company were you with i was krs machining in erie
Old 12-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

I looked into buying a dyno for my new garage. A new one was around $50k and I found a used one for around $25k. There is NO dyno anywhere around here and I'm sure I could make the monthly payment just off a weekend worth of runs. But, I live in a residential neighborhood so I would have some "details" to work out

Good luck with the venture! I've looked into it *briefly* and I'd bet you could make a go of it. You'd probably gain a lot of new "buds" too. LOL!

Quick Reply: I'm buying a Dyno!