LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ignition question: Mallory hyfire VI vs. delteq

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 01:12 PM

Ignition question: Mallory hyfire VI vs. delteq

Would it be benifical to switch out my mallory 685 for a delteq system?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Re: Ignition question: Mallory hyfire VI vs. delteq

subscribing
Old 12-17-2005, 09:54 AM

Anyone have any input
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 AM

The Mallory box works with the opti and functions as a whole range of the goodies you need with nitrous the timing retard, rev limit, window switch. The Delteq is an alternative ignition system which will greatly complicate your choices and cost you a whole lot in getting all those functions you already have with the Mallory/opti combo intigrated into the DIS system.
Not saying it can't be done just that I don't think you understand exactly what the products you are asking about do or are capable of.
By the time you get the retard, window switch, rev limit all setup with Delteq I bet you spend nearly a grand fo no real gain over what you have now, all you will have accomplished would have been taking spark distribution away from the optis list of duties.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:33 AM

I guess the first question to be asked is why are you looking at doing this? Are you having problems with your Opti? Has the Hyfire not lived up to your expectations? What do you hope to gain from the Delteq that you weren't able to get from the Hyfire?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:27 PM

Hyfire? Can someone explain?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by FatalZ28
Hyfire? Can someone explain?
That is the Mallory box.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:44 AM

Well thats the thing. I changed from nitrous to a blower setup and since getting the car tuned I don't use most of the special features. The boost referenced timing retard feature was set back to zero after the car was tuned. I just have a chance at getting some free coils and was curious if it would work better have one coil per cylinder versus a capicictve discharge system. Not too mention taking the high voltage out of the opti which I understood as being a big help in making it last longer
Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 AM

While the opti is not perfect the issues it has are GREATLY exagerated on the forums.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:05 PM

When comparing the Delteq to the Mallory Hyfire unit, it can't be narrowed down to simply asking the question "Which one is better?", because each system was designed to achieve a slightly different goal.

The Hyfire is intended to give you flexibility, whereas the Delteq is designed to increase reliability. How much of each one of these you actually need depends on your particular application. If you're running a blower/turbo/nitrous setup, and have hit a brick wall in your power gains because of the tuning limitations of the stock PCM, then a Hyfire is going to benefit you more. If you're having problems with your motor eating Optis and are tired of replacing them, then a Delteq is going to be of more benefit, especially if you're running N/A.

Something that needs to be made perfectly clear however, is that the Hyfire unit WILL NOT WORK with the Delteq. The only aftermarket ignition booster that will work with the Delteq is the MSD Dis-4. Another thing is that there are two new versions of the Optispark that will be hitting the aftermarket pretty soon. One by MSD and one by Accel. If you already have a Hyfire unit and are reluctant to give up it's tuneability aspects in favor of solving your Optispark woes you might want to hold off on replacing it until the MSD and Accel Optis come out. Then you could have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM

I have the hyfire and it has not let me down when I am racing. Now there is the occassional hiccup when I am not racing, namely it can be hard to start like once a week, but i am still not sure if there is directly related to the Hyfire or prehaps a someother ignition problem.