LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A.I.R. pump quick question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 01:51 PM

A.I.R. pump quick question

Does the AIR pump throw hot air into the air intake (that tube that hooks up to the air intake system), if so, does it only do it on start-ups, and will removing it from the intake system help/hurt performance? I'm kinda guessing that it don't matter, but still, 1 Hp here, 99 there, and that's an extra 100 hp lol...thanx guys.

--Tim
Old 02-16-2003, 01:56 PM

It's the opposite. The AIR pump pumps cold air from the intake tract into the exhaust to aid in preheating the cats and preventing them from becoming clogged during cold starting and during certain PCM parameters (coolant temp above 59 degrees, below 2850rpm, etc.). I took mine off, because I won't have a chance in hell of passing emissions, and it frees up SOOO much space in the engine bay.

Pic
Old 02-16-2003, 01:59 PM

hmmm, I dont have a cat , this mean I can !AIR pump also?! Come to think of it, my cat didn't have an AIR tube on it its the OBD I 95 w/single cat...where the heck is my AIR pump pumping air to?

--Tim
Old 02-16-2003, 02:08 PM

Your AIR pump is just below the coil and to the right of the optispark and water pump. It receives air from the intake, and pumps it into each exhaust primary (the two black check valves on the stock manifolds that protrude, in an ugly fashion).

Deleting the AIR pump will set an SES light, although I've heard that as long as the fuse is good, no SES light will be set. I can't confirm this on my car, because I have it programmed out with my tuning.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:03 AM

it a big deal to have the AIR pump still in place, but just not exactly connected to the intake tube? and that black little box thing that looks like a filter at the end... is that really nessesary?

thing is i cant figure out how to connect it to the K&N tubing while still using the black box filter thingy...
Old 05-18-2003, 08:24 AM

SSnakeEater, I don't know what this filter thing you are talking about is. Mine didn't have this but maybe your OBDI car is different. Or perhaps the former owner of your car had a setup where there was no AIR pump connection to the intake system. All the AIR pump needs is a filtered source of air. If your AIR pump inlet hose has a filter on it this would be just as good as connecting it to the FIPK intake fitting. Obviously if you did not end up connecting the AIR pump inlet hose to the FIPK you will need to cap off the hole on your FIPK. If this black box thing is a filter I assume you could remove it and hook up the line to the FIPK.

Hope this helps,

JeffA